Long-haul exotic destination

J

jake108

Looking for somewhere special to bring my oh later in the year. I've travelled long haul quite a few times but it will be a first for my oh. Was thinking of the Caribbean. Somewhere chilled, clean, safe with great restaurants that won't break the bank. Any suggestions??

There are a lot of good caribbean deals out there if you shop around. Also Thailand is a fairly cheap destination.

Thanks redchariot. Yeah I've been to the Caribbean (Barbados) and Mexico and spent a few weeks in Thailand. Maybe St Lucia?

If you like a bit of history and culture thrown in with your beach holiday, you can't go wrong with Cuba.

However, the resorts in Cuba like Varadero wouldn't compare with the likes of Barbados unless you are willing to pay top dollar; on top of that the food is fairly crap generally.

But you get to visit some fantstic locations like Havana, Vinales and Trinidad to name a few. Don't do day trips top these places but spend 2/3 days in each and also say a week in Varadero

It kind of depends on when you will be travelling. If you hit the Carribean in late summer you will be smack bang in the middle of the hurricane season. The best time to go imho is now. One suggestion however would be St Martin in the French West Indies. Its a beautiful island thats totally devoid of British lager louts having beer for breakfast at all-inclusive hotels. The island is split in two with the French having control of one half and the Dutch controlling the other. Fascinating place. KLM and Air France fly there via AMS and CDG respectively.

Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam! Flights are a little pricey but you can get stunning accommodation at bargain prices. It has all the charm of Thailand without the sleaze.