Long Hall-Floor colour?

TillyD

Hi,

We've put an extension on to the end of our house and the hall is now very long and dark. It is 26ft long and 3.6ft wide. We have spotlights on the the ceiling and the walls will be painted cream. The doors and skerting will be off white and I was hoping to lay dark wooden floors. The builder thinks I'm mad and that it will leave the hall too dark. I know is will leave it darker than lighter coloured flooring but do you think it will leave it very dark? I was hoping the wallls and doors would brighten it up.

What do you think guys?

Thanks... Tilly.

I saw an interior design program where they showed a dark room with a pale coloured carpet. They ripped up the carpet and treated the floorboards to be dark but with a high gloss finish. The room was brighter as a result. They did this to prove that the high gloss finish, which reflects light will brighten up a space more than a dull paler colour.

However, If I were you, I would get advice from an expert ( not a builder) before spending a lot of money on flooring which you are unlikely to change for years.