London to Manchester

J

joer

Going to London for a few days from Dublin later on in the year, then to Manchester for a few more. I would welcome any feedback on travelling between the two cities. I would be flying to London and back from Manchester. Three of us are travelling , its is very expensive to fly between the two. Wasnt going to hire a car.

Unless you really like punishment, I wouldn't consider anything other than the train or maybe the bus.

I don't know if anyone flies between London and Manchester, but even if they did you would spend as much time waiting around in airport queues, getting out to Heathrow/Gatwick/etc . . . as you would on the train. Luton or Stanstead airports are probably about 1/5 of the way to Manchester anyway.

Train takes 3.5 to 4 hours. If I were you I would let the train take the strain. Check http://www.thetrainline.co.uk for times, but note you can't book tickets from them without a UK address. Picking a random Sunday in April - the fare can be as low as £13 one way. I'm sure there's some bus doing it for £5 or something.

z

I was in London recently on business and got the train up to Manchester to see United...I travelled on a Virgin train, and one way 1st Class was £30. The journey took 2 hours and 20 mins and I would recommend it wholehearedly-a very pleasant journey.

Train is the only way to go ... just over 2 hrs on Virgin Trains from London Euston to Manchester - trains are every half hour during the day normally .. If you book in advance and avoid peak times you can get pretty cheap deals (often it's cheaper to book two oneways than return tickets) .. note that on the cheap tickets you have to travel on the train you book - most can't be changed.

I drove it 2 years ago, very easy if you like driving. Train would be much easier though.

I don't know if anyone flies between London and Manchester, but even if they did you would spend as much time waiting around in airport queues, getting out to Heathrow/Gatwick/etc . . . as you would on the train. Luton or Stanstead airports are probably about 1/5 of the way to Manchester anyway.
z

I flew London-MAN once (GBP 38 with BMI)....as you say I spent more time getting to the airport, checking-in, security etc etc, than I woujld have on train. Book train early and you can get great deals.

Back