London Theatre weekend?Hotel recommendation

frunzy

Hi,
Heading to london in aug for a weekend, booked flights and now trying to book hotel,my head is wrecked with so many options, we want something very central and nearish/accessible to the westend as we are going to 2 shows. Any advise re location or recommended hotels please.
Ta

I've stayed in the Strand Palace Hotel which is about as close to theatreland as you can get. A very nice 3* hotel, I've just booked for a Sept weekend!

I got the best rate from the hotel website (room only rate, other hotel sites offered b+b rates).

www.strandpalacehotel.co.uk

I stayed at the Jury's at Great Russel St. which was perfect. Its central and and very comfortable.

A lot depends on where you are flying into and what shows you are going to. If you are using Stansted, why not stay in the City?, you get good rates at weekends as the hotels are catering for business travellers during the week and you would only be a short walk from Liverpool station.

First time was in London stayed in the Renassance Marriot, which was extravagant to say the least. Fantastic hotel. ( Given to me at staff rate by a friend!)

Been to London recently and noticed 3* in london is a bit lacking when compared with dublin 3*, maybe 4* may be better bet?

I had a bad experience with a 3* hotel in the Bayeswater/Quensway area a few weeks ago.

are you looking for somewhere just to sleep or a nice hotel with all the trimmings? what's the max you'd spend per night?
if you supply that it will be easier to advise, as you say there's loads of options available.
if you want somewhere cheap and relatively cheerful, travelodge covent garden is fine, you can sometimes get great deals on it too, having said that i went there on a cricket/beer weekend so was only used for sleeping really.
http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/hotel_overview.php?hotel_id=318

Last edited:
Hilton Hotel in Islington is fine, nothing spectacular but a good base and in an excellent location. Can usually be booked for weekends quite reasonably.

I stayed at the Jury's at Great Russel St. which was perfect. Its central and and very comfortable.

Second that. Very accessible for West End. Its perfect IMHO as a base for theatre, sightseeing, shopping when all you're doing is using a hotel room as a base and you want to spend as little time as possible within London getting to your destinations. They have good internet offers usually.
If you haven't yet booked your shows try booking directly with the theatres rather than on some of the ticketing sites

thanks lads its my mission for 2day to book it, you are all very good, i will lwt you know hiw i get on.
thanks

Do you know what shows you want to see? I stayed in the St. Giles Hotel just off Tottemham Court Road (bottom of Oxford St.). It is just around the corner from the Dominion Theatre which has the Queen musical "We will rock you". About 5 mins walk away is The Phoenix Theatre which has Blood Brothers. There are loads of theatres in the Piccidilly area which are walkable from this hotel too (10-15 mins). It's a middle of the road hotel, the rooms could do with a refresh but they are clean and comfortable and the location is spot on. I went earlier this year. I booked it through alpharooms.com. 3 nights B&B cost €335. I think it is even cheaper now with the sterling being so weak.

Park Plaza County Hall is a brand new hotel.. stayed there in March. Located just behind Waterloo station and opposite the Houses of Parliament. Great location- within walking distance of Covent Garden and all the theatres in that area. Spotless hotel. http://www.parkplazacountyhall.com/
Here's the blurb on their website:

Park Plaza County Hall is perfectly located just south of Westminster Bridge overlooking the River Thames and is within walking distance of many of Londons most famous attractions including the London Eye, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, the London Aquarium, National Theatre and the South Bank Centre. The hotel is situated just minutes away from Waterloo train and underground stations providing connections to the Jubilee, Northern and Bakerloo tube lines as well as mainline rail to the South of England.