london shopping

spursman

hi there

my and my g/f are going to london on st stephens day. does anyone know of the best places for her to go for the shopping sales. is it city centre or some shopping center? any hints and tips would be great

The name of the shopping centre is actually called Westfield and the
station you get off at is White City.

It's huge with very upmarket shops, she'll love it!!!

Oxford Street is fun with lots of great stores. Watch your handbags while you're there, there are loads of thieves!

thanks for all that info. does there be big sales in that shopping centre at that time of year?

Hi Spursman, I am originally from London and 1 brilliant shopping centre is at Canada Water in south london. The jubilee line stops there and it is straight outside. Massive sports shop and brilliant bargains and also lots of shops for girlfriend. If you want to look at quirky stuff Convent Garden Market is excellent. The west end is always good.
enjoy

Westfield is certainly pretty good ... it's a very large shopping mall .. probably the fanciest I've seen anywhere in the world .. definitely worth a look .. but for my taste it's a bit artificial being a purpose built shopping centre.

Oxford St. / Regent St. is the premier shopping area in London - but the streets aren't pedestrianised and can get very busy .. not so pleasant, especially if the weather isn't that nice.

As an alternative non-shopping centre high street area I like the Kings Road in Chelsea .. running West from Sloane Square Tube station - has most of the main shops you'll find on Oxford St but is much more pleasant ... or not too far from there the High St. Kensington / Notting Hill area is pretty good too.

As for the sales - I don't really know what will be happening on 26th ... I would have thought a lot of sales mightn't start until 27th or 28th ? (27th is a Sunday and Sunday trading is quite restrictive in England with most shops only allowed open for 6 hours - usually from 11am-5pm)

Westfield is big, very big but is close to Holland Park and Notting Hill and there are some good hotels there

There is no point in going to the Tottenham Court Road side of Oxford Street, all of the department stores are around the Bond Street tube stop. Personally I love John Lewis, staff are so friendly there. Regent Street and Bond Street are in that area as well, very good for the posh side of shopping.

From a market perspective, Spitalfields near Liverpool street can be quite good, Notting Hill and Camden are quite touristy these days.

thanks for all the ideas. 27th in sunday so i dont think sales will be starting that day if trading is restricted so hope fully it will be the 26th. anyhow its cheaper there then it is here with the sterling at 88 etc

The name of the shopping centre is actually called Westfield and the
station you get off at is White City.

It's huge with very upmarket shops, she'll love it!!!

Get off at Sheppard Bush station and you are in White City. no walking from white city station.

Hi Spursman! I would probably shop depending on the weather Westfield is great coz it does have everything under one roof and if u get bored while ur girlfriend shops u can easily separate and meet up again in the shopping center... It has 2 Parts to it.. High street shops in 1 and designer in the other as well as gud few restaurants / cafes... Not sure if it has opened but a cinema was also opening there. They're website is www.westfield.com it might be worth having a look at. On the other side i also like Oxford Street if its not raining Its got a huge Topshop and most other high street shops... Only downside is it gets very busy so i imagine the sales after xmas will be worse, so prepare urself for bumping into people Hope u have a great time

harrods, fortmum & masons ? Bond Street for the jewellery you know...

IMO much of Oxford St is manky, but pick 1 or 2 shopping centres, no more, they all carry the same shops pretty much