London for a few days - any interesting non-touristy suggestions?

Caveat

Hi

Heading to London for a few days in a week's time.

Used to live there so it's not exactly alien to me and have seen all the usual/obvious - but that was 15 years ago.

Have been over about once a year since but it was really just seeing friends - this time round we'll be left to our own devices to a greater extent.

Was just wondering if anyone can recommend anything unusual or different to do while we're there? (particularly if it's cheap/free!)

Cheers

SUBTERRANEAN LONDON DISCOVERY

The "Cobra Room", Secret Tunnels, Bomb Shelters,
Crypts, Lost Rivers & Trains & Drains - all part of the above walk which takes place on Sunday mornings. Meet outside Embankment Tube for 10.30 start. I did it a few weeks ago with a long-time London resident and we both found it really interesting. It think it cost less than a fiver. Peter G was our guide and was very well informed and entertaining, even though the rain lashed down. More details at http://www.walks.com/Homepage/Sunday/default.aspx#318

British Museum - Even if you are not a 'museum type' - if you haven't been there recently its well worth going just to see the famous Rosetta Stone. This is really remarkable as it's discovery assisted in understanding many previously undecipherable examples of hieroglyphics. You can also see the Greek Elgin Marble Collection - known in Greece as the Parthenon Sculptures -- these were taken from Greece two centuries ago by a British collector and the Greeks want them back! - free admission.

When you arrive at Heathrow its a good idea to buy an Oyster Card (you can buy £20 credit and top up as necessary) for hassle-free travel on tubes, trains and buses.

The Chelsea Physic Gardens for something a little different that is off the beaten path. Also if you haven't been to Greenwich I would recommend it. Other than that have a browse through the http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/ (24HourMuseum) site, you might find a museum or gallery that you haven't yet seen but appeals.

Courtauld Gallery: Old Master, Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings. Has a lovely central courtyard to have lunch.
[broken link removed]

In a similar vein I'd strongly remcommend the tours of Highgate Cemetery (The Western Part that you can only get into with a guide) - absolutely fascinating

[broken link removed]

I know it's touristy, but you should go on the london eye. I don't think it was there when you used to live in London.

A walk along the Thames all the way to Greenwich from Big Ben is very nice, taking in Canary Wharf close up.

Sunday lunch in The Idle Hour pub in Barnes (one of the last villages of London). Check out www.theidlehour.co.uk

We were there in June and had the lamb, amazing!! It comes to the table in the roasting dish with carving knife and fork and all the veg sitting underneath it. Wow!

I have found the Le Cool weekly emails a handy way to discover some of the weird and wonderful happenings in Barcelona. They also have a version for London, so it might be worth checking out for tips:
[broken link removed]

Walk from Victoria Stn to Bucks Palace, through Green Park to The Ritz, along past into Picadilly, through Leicester SQ and swing left up towards Soho and on up to Tottenham CT RD, down through the shopping streets and then hang a left back down Regent St (or is it Bond) down to Picadilly and back towards Victoria. Takes a nice few hours, you have a choice of eats, shops and the sites are phenomenal.

The Imperial War Museum is outstanding. You could spend a full day there and only scratch the surface of it - really excellent.

If you are thinking of visiting Highgate Cemetery, you may be interested in reading Tracy Chevalier's book "Falling Angels" - it's a work of fiction but it is set in Highgate Cemetery.

Back