London: city travel best value option

Ash

What's the best value option for city travel in London for four days?
From Heathrow into the city and all the usual sightseeing things thereafter, tube and bus.
Oyster card? Travel card?
Not familiar with the city at all.

Most or all of the airport have easy access to the city via public transport. Heathrow is on the Tube but Gatwick and Luton both have regular train/bus links too. You can sometimes even buy the tickets at a discount when booking flights. One you're in the city it's very easy to get around by bus, Tube, taxi etc. I'm not sure what travel cards are available these days but my mother was over there recently and just bought an Oyster card which can be topped up as you go and this worked fine for her. I think there's a refundable deposit on the initial purchase (e.g. £10 for the card with £3 or £4 as a refundable deposit and the balance in prepaid credit or something like that). Pick a few "must sees" rather than trying to get around the whole city as it's quite big with lots of sights/attractions.

Hi Ash;
When I was in London last Dec I asked for a 3 day travecard at the counter and the man said I might be cheaper to buy 3 seperate tickets for each day.....and it was. So what u could get is a travelcard for zones 1-6 for the day you arrive and depart (Heathrow is in zone 6) and zones 1-3 for the other 2 days, as you will mostly be around the city centre I presume. You can buy them all together in the underground station in the airport.
Is this link any use to u?

[broken link removed]

Pick a few "must sees" rather than trying to get around the whole city as it's quite big with lots of sights/attractions.
I definitely second this because there is absolutely loads to do.

My personal recommendation is the London Eye :)

My personal recommendation is the London Eye

I would have to agree but I would recommend to go at night.

From Heathrow into the city and all the usual sightseeing things thereafter, tube and bus.
Oyster card? Travel card?

Paper travelcard is the best value. the only restriction is that you can't use it until after 9.30 on weekdays (no restrictions on the weekend)

If you're there for four days you'll need a Zone 1-6 for Heathrow on the first and last day which is £6.70 I think. For remaining days you'd only need a 1-2 travel card which covers central london and the inner suburbs which is £5.10. Information and maps of the zones on www.tfl.gov.uk

No need or point in getting an Oystercard really (you've to queue up to get it and pay a small deposit - not worth the hassle for tourists for a few days I don't think)

Whatever you do don't pay individual single cash fares for tube or bus travel - the fares are (deliberately) prohibitively expsensive.

Paper travelcard is the best value. the only restriction is that you can't use it until after 9.30 on weekdays

Actually you can buy one earlier and use it but it costs about twice as much, better to have a lie-in, comfy breakfast and miss the rush hour.

Also Stansted is linked by a 45 minute Express running every 15-20 minutes into London Liverpool Street and London City is on the DLR (Docklands Light Rail).
Just to note Luton is a fairly short bus journey from the station, the others are all walkable links.

You can purchase an Oyster card in advance from the British Tourist Office in Dublin, or from .

Back