loitering and the law

MossFerguson

I was in a takeaway and they had a sign to say no loitering around entrance. How far fom the entrance can they cover?. if say a group of elderly ladies stop for a chat are they loitering?

is there anything that can be done about youngsters who may be engaged in anti social/criminal behaviour loitering around a housing estate

If criminal behaviour then yes obviously - as long as they can be caught red-handed. Inform the gardaí for a start that you have concerns.

Re merely "loitering" I don't think so - although I could be wrong.

I remember a few years back a fairly controversial piece of legislation in England which made 'gathering in groups' (don't know exact wording) some sort of public order offence. It was designed to combat the whole teen loitering thing. It didn't go down very well and I think it was mentioned in the media here that we didn't have an equivalent - at least not at the time (mid 90s?)

in terms of thetakaway i just wondered if they could stop people gathering on a footpath which out side their door is presumably public. Can they draw a distinction between group of elderly ladies and a bunch of youths ?

There's always the Mosquito..

I've come across them in a couple of tenders, (one for a school!) so I suppose they must work.