Log on to a computer

sarahfleming

I got a computer cheap at the weekend and I know if an offer is too good to be true then it probably is but my problem is as follows.

When I turn on the computer it is looking for log on details for previous user obviously which I dont have and cant get and obviously dont want their settings so is there a way around this where I can access the computer to do my own things??

Assuming this is just the standard Windows logon, just reformat and reinstall Windows.

Hi Towger. Thanks for the response. I am totally untechnically minded so how would I go about doing this and is it an expensive process??

Contact the previous owner for the login details.
If they can't provide them, then the laptop is possibly stolen.

I dont want the previous owners log in as I want my own settings so I presumed there was a way of the clearing the old system and getting a new one

There is - as mentioned reformat & reinstall windows. Not that difficult but not maybe for a novice either. If you know anyone a bit techie it shouldn't be a problem for them.

Well then you need to go back to whoever you bought it from and get the installation disks, and/or get the previous owners log in details (you can clean up the settings to your own preferred settings and remove the account of the previous owner and add yourself once you can log in).

You might also try logging in with administrator as the username and a blank password - this might allow you to bypass the current user login and when you are logged in as administrator you can change the settings to remove the previous user and add an account for yourself.

If none of the above work - you need to get a windows installation disk and reformat the hard drive and install windows again. I have no idea how expensive a copy of windows is or what version you would want but you can google that information.

There's a very good, free, utility CD download at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ which contains a utility to reset Windows passwords. By the sounds of it, you'll need somebody who understands computers to help you with this.

What make and model is the PC? Some manufacturers do not supply recovery disks. Instead, they provide a hidden recovery partition on the hard disk. If your machine has one of those, then it can be re-installed back to the state that it was in when it left the factory. Once again, you'll need some help with this.

If you do manage to rebuild the machine via the recovery cd/partition route, then make sure that you download and install Windows updates as soon as possible. If the machine is a single-floppy configuration then it's probably quite old and there have been many very important security updates to Windows OS.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Only a floppy drive? Is it one of [broken link removed]:D

As mentioned, you either need to get the previous owner's login using which you can create your own account and delete their one. Otherwise you need installation disks from the previous owner, wipe the computer and re-install windows using the disks.

It all sounds a bit iffy to be honest, buying a computer from someone w/o even turning it on to see it working before paying?

You cannot log in, no installation disks, no cd/dvd drive and you are not technically savvy - bring it back and get your money back.

i know its a personal qiuestion but out of curiosity how much did you pay for this machine. you say cheap i still think you may have been robbed (no cd drive?)

I think if you even got it for nothing......you were robbed....
*pain n suffering*:D

Back