log cabins/wood rooms

Debbie

Hi
We are thinking of buying one of those wooden rooms for out the back as we don't have enough room in house. It will be like an extra bedroom as such.
Does anyone know if you could add this on to the value of your house if you were to sell.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Debbie

hi debbie,
i have a chalet which i only installed in may last. 25sqm. anything over this needs planning. it cost 22euro extra at that time to add on to house insurance. however, just got my premium for this year and it appears to be costing 100euro extra.(need to check it out)
i consider it an added value to the house if we were to sell, assuming it is in good condition. however, i just noticed a problem with water in one corner which i need to get to the bottom of soon.
feel free ask anything you want to know.

Hi Frankie,Suellen,
Thanks very much for info. Much appreciated. Will do further research and post how we get on. Will definitely check out the insurance issue. Its something we never even thought of!
Debbie

" I have a chalet which i only installed in may last. 25sqm."

Hi Frankie,

Where/what type did you go for?

You really need to check how well the log cabin is insulated and how easy it will be to put services such as electricity and heating in. You could find yourself spending quite a bit on heating during the winter if its away from the house as all walls will be outside walls and if its a little away it might be quite exposed to the elements. Is an extension to your existing property an option practically and cost wise or would this be an extension?

hi sueellen,

i designed my own unit from a basic square. have 3 rooms. insulated roof and floor. 2 sngle, 1 dble, window and a french door. all dble glazed and tilt and turn. erected in 2 days. have to do all of the treatment and varnish etc yourself, and also have to have your own level base although the company can do this if you want. you also put in all your own services like water and esb, but these are accomodated if ready when the unit is being erected.

i don't want to name or give a firm recommendation or otherwise yet until i get to the bottom of the water problem.

if you want any more details feel free to email or pm.

Another link that might be of interest: [broken link removed]
They used to advertise heavily in the Sunday papers and regularly had special offers!

Thanks everybody! I will let you know what we go for and how we get on.

Debbie