Log cabin - 44 or 70 mil thick walls

daveco23

Building a log cabin for home office use in back garden, does anybody know what log thickness I should go with - 44 or 70 mil? Roof and floors will be insulated, and I do not plan on using it as living space, ie bedroom, etc, just for 9-5 work. There is a big price difference depending on log thickness - will 44 mil suffice for what I want to use it for?
Thanks

just remember to factor in heating costs..... if the 44mm costs twice as much to heat, its probably worth your while going for the 70mm.....

Go for timberframe construction, weatherproofed and cladded outside barrelboard. Stronger, warmer, any layout you want, normal tiled roof and proper 4" kingspan insulation on floors/walls/roof.
The quality is far better, cheaper/quicker to built and looks much better, than 4"x2" on its edge thrown on few solids.
I wouldn't pay 24K for a barna shed.

I have gone some research into this, but not built anything yet.

The 44/45mm in something like http://cgi.ebay.ie/Log-Cabin-Summer-Cabin_W0QQitemZ220255884492, is not that solid. You will feel a fair bit of give in the walls (especially the long back wall), if you push them. It also does not have much insulation. Some makes have steel rods through the logs to give more strength. In winter the walls would really need additional insulation or a good heater :).

The 70mm would be more sold, and you could get a way without insulating the walls. There is a big price jump between 45 & 70mm. There are also double walled 45mm versions, with insulation built in etc.

One option I thought of doing, was to get a standard 45mm cabin and add internal 2x4 studs to the walls to give more strength, plus additional insulation etc.

Now after watching one being build. I am now thinking of a timeframe 'cabin' exactly as Dreamhouse subjects. It has a number of advantages as mentioned, plus can be made to spec/size rather a standard mass produced log cabin. The only advantage of a log cabin is that it available a kit, which I would easily build myself.

There are also double walled 45mm versions, with insulation built in etc.
Have also done some research on cabins and was thinking in terms of the double walled version with insulation built in. Would it be true to say this is better than the 70mm wall?

Dreamhouse said:
Go for timberframe construction, weatherproofed and cladded outside barrelboard. Stronger, warmer, any layout you want, normal tiled roof and proper 4" kingspan insulation on floors/walls/roof.
The quality is far better, cheaper/quicker to built and looks much better, than 4"x2" on its edge thrown on few solids.
Forgive my ignorance but how would this compare with the above? Is it not the same thing?

Have also done some research on cabins and was thinking in terms of the double walled version with insulation built in. Would it be true to say this is better than the 70mm wall??

I can't remember the site, but I came across the U values for different thickness of log and double wall etc. The double wall 45mm has a far better U value than 70mm. It is after all 45mm wood + polyurethane board + 45mm wood. The same would go for double wall 28mm. Here is a double wall 45mm: [broken link removed]

A assume you can tie the two wall together (at a number of points in the middle) to give a much more solid structure.

Forgive my ignorance but how would this compare with the above? Is it not the same thing?

Not really in construction, but the end result looks much the same. In the one being build near me, the existing back garden wall (block) is being used (and higher slightly), but the timber frame inside it taking the weight of the roof. It also has a concrete floor with two layers of 65mm Kingspan in it. The same again in the walls and roof and lots of glass in the front to let in the light. The front and sides are then going to be timer clad to give the log cabin look. I don't know about it being faster to build, the two Polish fellows the builder is using are taking their time and going off on other jobs!! It used the existing wall there is no space being wasted behind it, which can be a problem with a small garden.

I have gone some research into this, but not built anything yet.

Didn't looked hard enough...:)
PM, and I'll sent you some photos.

Forget about insulation, U values for now. Usualy the structure goes first. Nobody mentioned about the settlements and shringage of so called logs (1"-2" in 8'). And when I saw on a brosure 2 storey "log" extention to a block build house - laughed half day.

Steel mates with stone, block, brick mates with stone,timber - never.

As for making double "log" wall, whats gona hapen at the corners?

In my opinion, the best system would be studs (4"x2", 6"x2"), 1/2 WBP sheated outside, breatheable membrane and cladding on treated 2"x2"s.
Inside - your choice and imagination.

Its nothing new, same timberframe, only cladding instead of brisk on the outside. Costwise it works 30% cheaper, than a "barna shed".

Structual, insulation, soundproofing, as somebody mentioned,- completely different league and not a subject for comparison.

Back