Log Book

Istabraq1

I bought a 2nd hand car a just over a month ago from a dealer, at the time the dealer told me it would be a few weeks before he had the log book and he would send it on, I still haven't got it and after finally getting him on the phone he said, "oh I thought that went out in the post"..
This set alarm bells ringing in my head... Where do I stand if it is lost in the post. Is it possible he never had it in the first place??
Getting worried about this!!

Ring your local Motor Taxation Office to see if the ownership has been transferred into your name. The dealer should have sent off the VLC to Shannon to have the ownership updated, and a new VLC should be on it's way to you as the new owner. If the new VLC was lost in the post you can get replacement document for €6 or maybe €12(the motor tax office will let you know and send you the form RF134 to enable you to do this ) In the meantime if ownership has been transferred to your name, you can go ahead and tax the vehicle by using Tax Renewal Form RF100A, available on the Internet or Motor Tax Office.

Rgds
Billo

Thanks Billo, rang the Vehicle Reg office in SHannon and they haven't recieved anything from the dealer yet, so it's either lost or the dealer hasn't sent it yet.

Anyone know where I stand if I get pulled over by the gardai... I cant tax my car without the log book.... very annoying

Id get back on to the dealer and inform him that he obviously didn't send it on. I'd be a bit suspicious to be honest - why did he say at the outset he wouldn't have the log book for a few weeks - a bit unusual? If he cant come up with soon I think I would be looking for my money back..not sure of the legal grounds in such a scenario but if he's a legit dealer I don't think he would argue too much. After all, its his responsibility to produce the log book for you...