Lodging Cash in an ATM

Ormond

New poster here, but regular reader and fan.

My experience does not relate to Irish banks but I'm an Irish citizen living in the US and would appreciate advice or thoughts.

As I think is the case in Ireland, banks here allow you to lodge cash to your account via ATM. I've done it frequently and it has always been fine. Last week, however, my husband lodged a sum of just under $800 to our account in cash via ATM. Two days later, I noticed that the account had been credited twice. Once for the amount he had lodged, then again for a slightly smaller amount which we could not trace.

I went into the bank and raised a query on the second amount. Long and short of it is after an investigation they've decided that it was actually the second (lower) amount that was actually lodged and have deducted the difference from our account.

My husband is positive about the amount he lodged. It looks as though, whether through error or otherwise, the teller who handles the cash lodged to ATMs credited us for a lower amount. We've asked for a second investigation but are not hopeful. I'm going into the branch also tomorrow to discuss this once again with the manager there.

I think we don't have a leg to stand on, really, and it illustrates the risks of using ATMS for cash deposits, but if anyone has a similar experience or advice, I'd be glad to hear it. It's not for a huge amount - $150 - but it is the principle of the thing.

Last edited:
Just an update on this. I went in and discussed the situation with a manager in my branch and outlined my concerns: basically, that my husband was positive that he had lodged that amount and that we would want to be assured that we could trust the bank with our cash. He was courteous and said that he would keep an eye on the second investigation. I didn't really think anything would come of it but yesterday I got an email from him saying that the decision had been made to reimburse our account for the amount that was missing, apologising for the inconvenience suffered, etc.