Lodging an unendorsed cheque

K

karenMonty

Do banks usually let you lodge a cheque to a payee's account if the payee hasn't endorsed it?

BOI recently refused to let me lodge a cheque made out to wife into our joint A/c. I have done this several times in this branch in the past without incident.They said new guidelines. As I signed the lodgement (express) she should have endorsed the cheque or if she signed the lodgement that would have been ok. I suppose their reasoning is I could lodge it without wife knowing then draw on it as its a joint A/c.

Thanks for the replies. The situation you describe, twofor1, is the same situation I was hoping would work for me (am out of the country and want my brother to be able to lodge a cheque made out to me into our joint account.

I really don't see why this should cause a problem. You're the payee. It's going into your a/c, albeit a joint a/c, which you & the other party to the a/c will have access to, as per your request. ie. Repayable to either or requiring two signatures. If you came to me with the cheque I'd lodge it no problem. The easiest thing for you to do is to write a letter, with your instruction to lodge the cheque into your a/c, giving a/c details etc & get your brother to drop it into your bank. This should cover all objections.

I lodge cheques frequenty made out to my wife to our joint AIB account and I have never had any problems.
BTW how do you endorse a crossed cheque?

Back