Locking handbrake

paddyjnr

I have a 96 opel astra estate in very good condition, except for one thing that keeps getting the better of me. Every so often especially after a night of rain, (I've noticed) when I release the handbrake the back brakes get jammed. I've taken the wheels off several times and cleaned the inside of the brake drum but all to no avail. The only thing that seems to work on a temporary basis is a hefty wallop of a lump hammer. Can anyone tell me what is causing this..? Thanks...

Check behind the backplate of the drums there should be swivel joints attached to the brake cable make sure these are free add some penetrating oil and operate the handbrake several times, if this is not successful it may be the joint attaching the cable to the hanbrake lever check this and do same. Lubricate all the joints along the cables distance.

Thanks chic, really appreciate the help!!! will try as soon as the rain stops....

My Father had the same problem in Opel Ascona.We eventually changed the brake shoes for Ferodo shoes and the problem dissappeared.As a temporary measure park the car with the handbrake off and leave it in gear.

My Father had the same problem in Opel Ascona.We eventually changed the brake shoes for Ferodo shoes and the problem dissappeared.As a temporary measure park the car with the handbrake off and leave it in gear.
Thanks caff, I am begining to think it is a brake shoe problem alright because when I inspected the drum again, it was full of sticky brake sludge and it did seems that the shoes were clinging because of that. Is it easy to buy that particular brand of shoe???

We got them in local auto-factors.I think Halfords stock them too.Did you try spraying the whole assembly with brake cleaner,might be worth a shot before you change the shoes.

sticky brake sludge could be an indication of leaky cylinders and should be checked out

often it helps to file the tips of the shoes at 45 degrees, it helps them from sticking too on the opels