Lockerbie

deeheg

Is anyone else as horrified as me about the release of that man, how was it justified and a private plane to take him home, I just feel that must rub it in so much to the poor families his victims

a private plane to take him home

Better then putting him on a standard flight home - don't think the other passengers would have felt too comfortable with him onboard!

By the way I do agree that he should not have been released! - I think the welcome home he received was a disgrace - a hero's welcome!. There is of course a widely held belief that he was not responsible but was a sacrifice given by Libyan government! -

I find it particuarly ironic that the Christian Right (to use the famous quote "the irony is that they are neither") in America are so annoyed at someone showing compassion...

Are they not an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth kind of people??

My thinking is that where prison sentences are concerned - the time given should be the time done regardless of excuses.

Didn't they recently refuse to let the Biggs out early despite bad health - think he may have won on appeal though!

He's a witch! Burn him!
I've been called worse

I am glad he was let out; he was a scapegoat. The main players were never touched and probably not known about.
I still think it was the Iranians who did it, in revenge for flight 655. It was a civilian Airbus A300 that was shot down by the US Navy in 1989. 290 innocent people were killed, including 66 children. The US government has never apologised.

The bit I can't see is why the Scottish Government let him out if he died in prison there would have been no outrage...

I agree with Purple. They never got the real culprits. A deal was done with Libya for oil - seems they have more reserves than Nigeria and have a pipeline direct to Europe (Italy)

+1

I agree with YOBR in that the man should have died in prison; as should Biggs.

I too think that he was scape-goated although I think the triumphalist home-coming was ill-advised.

The bit I can't see is why the Scottish Government let him out if he died in prison there would have been no outrage...

I have different thoughts on this - if he died in prison he would die a martyr for the cause.

This whole thing is about money, or more particularly oil. The big oil companies are going back into Libya big time (after a 30 year absence). See here for deatils. That’s why he’s getting out.

As to his guilt here’s my reasoning on it;
1)He didn’t do it. I think it was Iran and he was just the scapegoat.
Or
2)He did do it. If so he was under orders from his government and now that the oil companies are back in Iraq (with BP and Shell leading the charge) keeping Mr. al-Megrahi in prison would be like condemning an SS prison guard and then shaking hands with Hitler.

No one died as a result of that train robbery. Somebody was beaten up yes, but he died years later from cancer.

I may be wrong but did one of the rail employees not have a heart attack or something?

Edit - just googled:

Jack Mills, who was 57 at the time of the robbery, never fully recovered from his injuries, and never returned to work. In 1970, he died of leukemia[1] which an inquest confirmed was unrelated to his injuries.

(Wikipedia)

for god sake...the man is dying,the scottish government are just showing a bit of compassion,thank god the rest of the world dont share the same view as the yanks!

OK, time for a u-turn. I’ve been doing a bit of reading on this over the last few days and while it is clear that he was nowhere near the mastermind he wasn’t a foot soldier either. If he was in any way involved, and it looks like there is a strong case to say he was, then there’s no way in hell he should have been released.