Location versus Aesthetics

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

I'm considering buying either a second hand apartment in Clontarf, or a new apartment in Santry. Clontarf is obviously a preferable location, However, the apartment block was built in the 1970's, and the exterior is very unappealing. There is also no lift. I'm wondering whether this would put people off when trying to sell it on.

Hard to say....
-They say 70's apartments are bigger.
-Clontarf is a 'mature' area so there is limited supply. There's lots of open spaces in Santry waiting for development.

I'd probably be swayed by the transport links. Driving will become increasingly difficult in years to come and access to public transport will become more important. Just look at London and the price difference between zones 1/2 and 3+, and the congestion zone.

I'm open to correction on this but I've always thought a 30yr old apartment would be better because someone else has already paid 30yrs into the sinking fund. If you buy a new apartment, you'll have to start from stratch.

The bedrooms of the one in Clontarf are definately much bigger than anything I've seen anywhere else. The overall area is about 82m2, for a 2-bed, (without an en-suite). The apartment in Santry is about 79m2 for a 3-bed. There is also no balcony in the one in Clontarf. I'm wondering whether all of these issues will make it more difficult to sell-on.

I have heard that there are some new appartments going on Sale in clontarf, close to the Dollymount Inn in September coming, expected to be around 400k for a 2 bed.

The main problem your going to face is stamp duty of 10k plus on a second hand appartment versus a new one, this and the fact your going to want to do it up a bit.

Back