Location of Sky Dish

collieb

Hi,

I live in a new development where sky dishes are supposedly not permitted- they have been removed from apartements by the management company but the position of houses (which I live in) is a little more uncertain and so far none have been removed.

My problem is that the front of my house is facing the direction the dish needs to point in but I do not want to put the dish on the front as it would be qa lot more noticeable than at the back and would certainly draw the attention of the mgmt company (who say they are not allowed on houses either but as I said, have not so far removed them). CAn anyone advise if there is a big problem here - is it possible to have flexibility regarding the position of the dish (from a technical point of view). Just to note that I do not have a side wall on my house (its a mid-terrace townhouse) and there is no chimney.

My house too faces the direction that the dish needs to.

I got around this by having the installation guys fit a mounting bracket to the back of the house instead. From memory I think it cost about 90 euro.

As far as I know, a person is not allowed to fix their dish to the front of any house. That hasnt stopped people thought which is a shame.

A dish on the front of a house requires planning permission. You might be able to mount it on the back wall of your property if there's a line of sight from there to the satellite.

So long as you have a clear line of site you don't always have to have the dish attached to the house. A lump of concrete with a pole in it would do. Attach the dish to this and line up. A few strategically placed plants and pots and you could claim it's a garden feature.

They use this method on the continent - satellite fixing not strategic plant placement - for apartments and rented accomodation.

The SKY satellite is in a geostationery position at around 22degrees angle as you point southwards towards the equator approx. If you can achieve this angle from anywhere at the back, and the house does not obstruct, then you should get a signal. Note, Ive no experience in this area!
R