Location of existing Septic Tank

GarBow

Hi, I wonder if you may be able to offer me some advice.

My partner has been offered a garden plot of around 1/3 acre on her parents land (Just under an acre). There is an existing septic tank (installed 1968) and is situated right where i think we would have to build our house (in line with her parents). Our plot, once devided will be approx 55M from the road and 25M Across. The house will sit towards the rear of the plot, about 12-15M from the rear boundary. Behind the plot is all fields (also owned by her parents).

My questions are, would there be a problem removing and building where the existing tank is?

Also, If the perculation area could not be retained within the site could it go outside the boundary into the fields?

Is it allowable to share a waste water system between the existing house (parents) and ours? In order to save installing two new tanks.

Thanks in Advance

Your questions should be aimed at your Local Authority. In general, sharing of treatment systems is not allowed or advisable (legals issues afterwards). The council will have a minimum site area in order to dispose of the effluent safely and may be grater than 1/3 acre. If your parents move the septic tank then (in compliance with proper planning) a new percolation test should be done in the new area to see if there is sufficient percolation. You will also have to do a percolation test as part of your own planning application. The new percolation area and septic tank can go outside of the boundary into the field as long as its kept on land under their ownership. This will all become clearer when you go to get professional advise on your pending planning application.

Thanks for you input, Just wanted to check before contacting CC. Sounds fairly promising if it can be located outside the boundary.

Back