location of combination boiler

jonjo

I am getting a combination boiler fitted. Ideally I would like to have it hidden away. I have had two conflicting opinions from plumbers.

The first said I could position it under the stairs on an internal wall accesable via a door. It is essentially a large cupboard under the stairs off the bathroom. This would mean the boiler is hidden away and he would attach a pipe to the flue which would run from the space under the stairs across the bathroom out to and through the external wall. This struck me as odd as steam comes out the flue and will have (?) condensed to water in the ~3 metres of pipe befor it gets to the outside, and therefore drip hot water from height?

The second opinion said combination boilers should only be positioned on external walls ?

Are there regulations that should be followed and is the first advice sound or the second?
jonjo

i don't know the regulations im afraid, but my combi boiler is located at an external wall in the extended part of the house and it seems a good spot for it! sorry i cant be of more help

If you go for a Combi Condensing Boiler it doesn't matter where it's placed. It could be the book shelf-as long as it's stable.
Steam is no problem, your plumber was right by advising you to get it out of sight (for example under the stairs). The amount of steam depends on the amount of gas/oil burned. Since it is propelled out of the pipe it does not cause any water running down your wall. In fact the pipe is slightly sloped to avoid that. So all condensation ocuring in the pipe will go back to the boiler and from there to the drain.That is if you opt for a condensing boiler.

Back