Location - Glas-nevin or Fin-glas-nevin?

Pope John 11

A friend of my has checked up on two No. houses recently both of which are quite nice. Addresses are as follows:
1. Willow Park.
2. Grove Park road.

However I'm convinced that they are both in Finglas-East (myhome.ie calling up the old name of Fin-glasnevin...& shortening it to Glasnevin)

Perhaps some advice is required on this. Location wise are they okay areas etc

Willow Park is definitely Glasnevin. Its off Glasnevin Avenue. Not sure about the other one as I havent heard of it

Willow Park is definitely Glasnevin. Its off Glasnevin Avenue. Not sure about the other one as I havent heard of it
"Glasnevin Avenue formerly known as Ballymun Avenue" not that this makes any difference this whole area you refer to has always been referred to as glasnevin north.

As stated before on many threads, An Post's website allows you to check 'proper' addresses. [broken link removed]

I was told by a local that a good rule of thumb is that Glasnevin, Dublin 9 is 'old' Glasnevin, while Glasnevin, Dublin 11 is Finglas East.

I was told by a local that a good rule of thumb is that Glasnevin, Dublin 9 is 'old' Glasnevin, while Glasnevin, Dublin 11 is Finglas East.

Wouldn't agree with that at all. Glasnevin is covered by two postcodes for sure. Just use the An Post website...That will clarify for you..

In any case Pope John Paul II, didn't you tell your friend that it matters not, that we are all equal in the eyes of the lord? ;-)

Come on folks, everyone knows that this area was formally known as Ballymun until about 20 years ago! Ballymun towers were right in the back gardens of some of the houses of Willow Park! Anyway, it makes no difference really as Willow Park has always been a lovely area and close to the city centre/shops/schools/airport/DCU etc.

I grew up on Glasnevin Avenue formally known as Ballymun Avenue and there was no such think as Glasnevin North. There was talk of changing Ballymun Road to Glasnevin Road and then apparently people in the flats said that if that went ahead they would call Ballymun 'Glasnevin Heights'!!

Glasnevin is Dublin 9. Finglas/Ballymun are Dublin 11. Willow Park and Grove Park are Dublin 11.

Ok so how come on the An Post website there are Dublin 11 addresses in Glasnevin? e.g. Violet Hill & Claremont are definitely NOT Finglas but is Glasnevin, closer to Glasnevin cemetary than Finglas Village and definitely nowhere near Ballymun!

For this reason and for previous Threads on what Estates are in what Postal Code/Area we need a Post/ZIP Code system to sort this out once and for all.

I grew up in this area. Willow Park is Ballymun and Grove Park is on the Finglas East/Ballymun interface. The local pub at the Willow Park Crescent/Sycamore Road shops was called Ballymun House (now called The Willows).

Local residents campaigned successfully in the late 70s/early 80s to have Ballymun Avenue and Ballymun Park changed to Glasnevin Ave and Glasnevin Park, creating a fictional area called "Glasnevin North" (which logically would make Phibsboro "Glasnevin South"). Over the years the "North" bit has been quietly dropped.

The northern edge of the real Glasnevin does go into D11 - for example, Cremore Road is real Glasnevin and lies in D11 - so postal area doesn't fully determine what's the real Glasnevin.

As stated before on many threads, An Post's website allows you to check 'proper' addresses. [broken link removed]

I just put my parents address into that, and it came up with the correct address we have always used. I then put the road minus the number and it listed pretty much every house on the street, each one led to a different address which included different combinations. One includes Cabra, one does not.

Perhaps it is not all that accurate and just refers to the address most commonly used for said household.

Cheers for all the replies.....How stupid of me....I forgot the either place could be in Ballymu-nevin

Hi there,
I live in the facinity - the areas in question are Finglas East (until it was renamed glasnevin north). Irrespective of the name it is a great area to live in...