Location for Xmas Holiday

mickeyg

My 2 sons are in Australia and my daughter, wife and myself are hoping to all meet for a few weeks at Xmas. Rather than flying all

the way to Australia I am checking out some other possible destinations ""in between" here and Australia to gather for a few weeks.

I would love to get any advice/recommendations on potential locations

Dubai? Although at that time of year it’s even more expensive. Any of the tourist spots in the Middle East probably work logistics and weather wise.

If you stop off en route to Australia you will probably be jet-lagged in any event at your intermediate stop, as you are flying ahead in time, i.e. flying East. For example, Perth is 7 hours ahead of Dublin but so is Singapore. If you think you will be jet lagged on a flight to Perth you will also be if you stop off in Singapore. So fly direct to Australia and allow a day or so to get over jet lag. Then stop off somewhere, e.g. Bali and / or Singapore on the way back, as you are flying West.

Last edited:
Thailand would be a good option, lovely country, lots to do and while not exactly 'in the middle' is a reasonable flying time and very well served by airlines on both sides. Plenty of nature, wildlife and nice weather, good food and variety for all ages, and depending on which area you choose might not break the bank as much as the Emirates spots at that time of year.

Taiwan was lovely last December, maybe a little too hot. Lots to see, and a range of foods and accommodation.
8 hours by air from Australia, 12 hour flight from Amsterdam/Paris/Vienna...

Reactions: PMU
We did this a number of years ago; sister was in Oz and myself and the Parents met her in Thailand. We all flew to Bangkok separately and went down to the Islands; Koh Samui is where we spent most of the time, few days in Bangkok and then up to the North of Thailand (Chiang Mai); myself and my sister then went to Laos; folks went their separate way at that point. Worked out very well. Thailand is a fab country.