Locating Internal Modem

IrishGunner

Hi

Parents have 3yr old Packard Bell and it got formated, dont ask, and I obtained a modem driver from

Running windows 2000

However I downloaded the driver and loaded it up. Now I cannot locate the modem. I ran a troubleshoot on it and it was working ok. Its connected at com3 and checked out this in devices and all was ok. Also tried the 'find new hardware' but no joy
So when I click on the dial up connection it cannot connect and comes up with 'make sure its switched on etc......'

Is there anything I am missing to try and get this working ?

Ta very much

Do you know if it's a PCI card (Win)Modem or built into the motherboard? Have you checked in Device Manager (Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager) for PCI devices that are not recognised/configured properly (should be a little yellow exclamation mark icon attached)? Do you know the make, model and chipset of the modem? If not then you may need to open up the PC and collect as much detail as possible (including chipset manufacture - e.g. Conexant, Lucent, Ambient etc. - chipset identifiers printed on the chip(s), manufacturer name and FCC ID on the board etc.). When dealing with WinModems it's usually necessary to get these details and then go hunting from the most appropriate drivers (since it is the driver that does most of the work for a software modem). I have configured many WinModems in my time and each time it involved a lot of detective work and fluting around.

Wow a bit over my head all I know is the PC came with a modem and when formatted the driver went and we cannot get it working
Tried the Packard Bell website and that is where I got the driver for this PC

Will check & let you know

Thanks