Local Needs:Tell me why, I can not buy a site and build a house where I want to?

jprender

Can anybody tell me why, I can not buy a site and build a house where I want to?

My wife and I want to move to a town close to where we work, and we wish to purchase a site and build our own house. The problem is that every site for sale has this "local needs" tag attached.

Is there any way that we can get around this ?

Is this to maintain the certain level of in-breeding that exists in small rural Irish towns ? !!!!

Thanks in advance,

J

Re: Local Needs ???

No, its to ensure the separation of "pure-breds" from "in-breds". Why would you want to live in a small rural town if you have such contempt for its inhabitants?

It's also designed to stop the urban sprawl/ ribbon development which inevitably results when some people decide " I want to live in a 4 bed with walk in wardrobes, his and her ensuite, 3 reception rooms, family room with separate den, utility with separate laundry room f*** off mansion" instead of the 3 bed semi that everyone else lives in. If everyone thought this way there'd be no countryside, just a rash of one -off housing, badly served by public amenities or utilities, probably polluting the groundwater (we all drink) because of inadequate/ poorly maintained septic tanks. i know lots of people who live in/ aspire to these "mansions", they are car dependant and can't see the irony of their situation "i want to live in isolation to the town etc but i want all the trappings that come with the town- ie schools, shops, jobs, entertainment etc" and "I expect the local authority to service/ maintain the road/ utilities that serves the 3 bungalows where I live" but "I don't want to contibute to the cost that's entailed". What a rant eh? I live in a modest 4 bed detached house in a housing estate, walk to work every day, we have one car my wife and I try to limit car usage where possible and feel far better for it! Financially it makes a lot of sense, not to mention the environmental impact- I'm not a hippy, I just don't understand this "let's live in a castle on an island" approach to housing in this country, we are obsessed with power showers, solid/ versus laminate flooring etc etc!!!!!

jprender said:
My wife and I want to move to a town close to where we work, and we wish to purchase a site and build our own house. The problem is that every site for sale has this "local needs" tag attached.

J

What does the "local needs" tag mean?

that you are not another bleddy commuter.

So if you want to buy and build in order to be closer to work does that not mean you fall into the local needs category?

It is very mutable, if work were within about 2 miles then absolutely yes . If 20 then no and if 5 then maybe.

tonka said:
It is very mutable, if work were within about 2 miles then absolutely yes . If 20 then no and if 5 then maybe.

Who gets to decide this? The seller? The council? What if I don't work? What if no-one local wants the site?

There must me a better way to achieve what this local needs system is trying to do than exclude anyone from joining the community who doesn't work within walking distance of that community.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this policy. If anyone has a link to any official information, I'd appreciate it.

J.

Hi Carpenter,
That's all a bit harsh isn't it? I live in a 4 bed detached house in a housing estate but for the same money I could get the sort of house you hate so much in the country. The reason I don't is because I'm from Dublin, I work in Dublin and my family and my wife’s family live in Dublin. I would love a big f**k off house with a big garden for my children to play in. What's wrong with people wanting that for their families?
I do agree that people should but the appropriate environmental infrastructure in place and pay the full cost of local services but your comments in general sound like begrudgery to me.

As to the substantive point raised in this thread. The rule is patently unfair as the same locals can go and buy a house in the local town but the person from the town can't build beside the locals.

Hi Purple

Don't mean to come across too harsh, but there is a lot of snobiness associated with the "one off house in the countryside". What we need is vibrant, thriving towns and villages with small, well designed housing schemes where people want to live, contribute to their community etc. If everyone moves to the countryside (and there isn't enough room for everybody) towns and villages become nothing more than dead, soulless shopping centres where no one lives, just consumes.........What's wrong with living in a housing estate, I don't think this issue arises in other European countries, at least not to this degree...

I can understand this protecting the environment thing, but;

if there is site for sale,....... for building a house,....... and this house is going to be built regardless of who builds it,.........then why cant I be the one to build it ? !!!!!!!!

Does the development of the site ruin the countryside to a greater extent because an "out-of-towner" builds it rather than a local ? Come on.

This smacks of a nudge and a wink type politics.

By the way, in my opening statement, I was not intending to insult ppl from small towns, only to add a bit of humour (and maybe a bit of controversy to get this discussion going).

Also, where I want to move to is only about 10 miles from my current house, (in a housing estate), but it falls within the realms of a different County Council.

Any more fuel to the fire ?

JP

Hmmm....Carpenter, I know it was months ago when you posted your reply...BUT, I am from the country, where I was born and bred on a single house detached house site. I have been living in town houses/housing estate now for 14 years, and own a house on a housing estate....However, if I have kids I want the freedom I had when I was younger, to allow them to play in their own back yard...I don't want a mansion, I just want to be able to come home of an evening, and sit outside without having neighbours left right and centre of me. Maybe if the housing estates were planned a little better and not placed one on top of each other in the estates it would make a difference.

Until this happens(never will) I have my eye out for site, where I hope to build a normal sized house, and I won't make any apologies for it.

I was lucky enough to be able to build my own home due to the fact that the wife is originally from the area and we are located about 1 1/2 miles from the village which is very small (there may be in-breeding not sure) but my problem is that they gave planning permission for 68 new houses in the heart of the village itself.

Now when i say there are no amenities i really mean that i.e. the shop owner is also the publician, local estate agent, undertaker and petrol station owner and all out of the one unit!!! If we take on average that each house will have 2 cars and 2 children thats an extra 136 cars in the village that it cant take(except for boss hog who owns the garage) due to roads.

An extra 136 children that are coming to a village with nothing for them except a GAA club and an already very small overstreached local school. Where is the long term planning in that??? Yes convienient for the postman, telephone and electricity guys...but will be an utter disastor for everybody else including the newbies.

racso said:
I was lucky enough to be able to build my own home due to the fact that the wife is originally from the area and we are located about 1 1/2 miles from the village which is very small (there may be in-breeding not sure) but my problem is that they gave planning permission for 68 new houses in the heart of the village itself.

Now when i say there are no amenities i really mean that i.e. the shop owner is also the publician, local estate agent, undertaker and petrol station owner and all out of the one unit!!! If we take on average that each house will have 2 cars and 2 children thats an extra 136 cars in the village that it cant take(except for boss hog who owns the garage) due to roads.

An extra 136 children that are coming to a village with nothing for them except a GAA club and an already very small overstreached local school. Where is the long term planning in that??? Yes convienient for the postman, telephone and electricity guys...but will be an utter disastor for everybody else including the newbies.

If the 68 houses were spread out at various points within a few miles of the town instead all the same issues of lack of amenities would arise. By concentrating the houses together you create an incentive for new businesses to start up to service this new demand.

Hi Rasco
I sympathise with your predicament as the same thing seems to be happening all over the place ... with small villages at the mercy of property developers. Can I ask did you oppose these houses at the planning stage?

Henny Penny said:
Hi Rasco
I sympathise with your predicament as the same thing seems to be happening all over the place ... with small villages at the mercy of property developers. Can I ask did you oppose these houses at the planning stage?

I can't understand why people would object. It is a hell of a lot better than 68 houses scattered around the countryside.

Henny Penny said:
Hi Rasco
What evidence can you offer to support your claim that "small villages at the mercy of property developers"?
Would is be more accurate to say that some of the development that has taken place in rural areas has been badly planned and executed?
Where would you suggest the people who want to move into these houses live?

In my opinion a hell of a lot more thought goes into the development of one off housing than into the development of housing estates within our towns and villages.
So many developments are badly designed, badly built, poorly serviced in terms of local amenities.
I am sure given the cahnce and the opportunity many people would choose to design and build a house which was suitable for their own needs and have whatever they though of as key to their lifestyle be that power showers, walk in wardrobes or whatever. Not everyone fits into the one size fits all category of housing which is on offer in many rural towns and villages.
Seems ridiculous to me to build 100's of houses cramped into a small location when there are acres of unused lands close bay which would afford people a decent house and a decent garden and a decent lifestyle.
While in big cities and towns it is necessary for large housing estates with small gardens due to lack of space this is simply not true of rural villages and it is just a way for developers to maximise returns by slapping up shoddy semis or even worse terraced houses simply to achieve maximum return for costs.
Where is the thought and planning in that.
Driving past what was a rural village in North County Cork during the weekend I was apppaled to see the level of development within what was once a lovely rural village.
Rows of terraced houses with wheelie bins outside the front doors as there was no access to the back gardens.
Why not allow these people to build decent sized houses, in the locality rather than lump them all in together simply becasue it is cheaper and easier to service them.
Planning for the future, I think not.

I see no problem with development of low-density housing estates near, or on the outskirts or, towns or villages. These should be connected to local services and any cost to upgrade those services should be bourn by the developer (and therefore the purchaser). They should also be of a size that will not swamp the village or town. This should NOT be decided by the local, the local authority should decide it.
This will avoid ribbon development and still offer people the opportunity to have a home with a decent garden and space around it.
If large scale developments are proposed the developer should have to bear the cost of all upgrades to services and infrastructure including building roads to the nearest major route and upgrading that route if necessary.
All of these upgrades should be in place before houses can be sold.

I also strongly support the idea of a windfall tax on rezoned land.

Back