Loan declined by mistake

Tiberius

I am a customer with one of the main Banks. I applied for a small loan in early January. My credit standing is good and I've always been approved before so I had no reason to assume anything would be different this time out. Next day I got informed that the application was declined, based on the information provided. No reason given. When I enquired why, they didn't know initially, but rang me back to tell me there was a flag on the CCR. I was suspicious of this as I know my CCR data is clean. Anyways, fast forward a week and I had my CCR report to hand. And nothing amiss on it. Back onto the Bank. Eventually they got back to say that my loan decline has been a mistake and I could proceed with the application if I wanted. This was nearly 3 weeks on from the initial application at this stage. My circumstances had changed so I didn't proceed with the loan. Anyone else have an experience of a decline mistake like this? The CCR data was accurate, showing a clean record, but still they managed to make a bags of the decision somehow. The experience would put me off re-applying for credit in the future. That, or I'd go elsewhere.

I was unhappy with the experience I received, so I followed up with a formal complaint to the Bank. It took 4 weeks to get a response. In that they apologised and again said it was a mistake, human error or something along those lines but as far as they were concerned this was the matter closed and their complaint response was final. I found the complaint process experience as unsatisfactory as the loan experience.

Amazing, an employee of a bank made a mistake? Completely unacceptable.

Only customers are allowed make mistakes - employees of banks never should.

The Liveline is still open if you want to call them.

Brendan

You making a big deal out of nothing really. I had something similiar happen many years ago. It turned out I didn't have much of a credit rating built up. Think I got what I wanted from the credit union.

Agree with Brendan .., up to a point. We all make mistakes - customers and banks. One should be big enough to own up to a mistake when it is identified. In the case of some financial institutions, they have appear to a culture to deny such mistakes. Such denials obviously a cost for both the bank and general regulatory system. This could be easily avoided ... much to the satisfaction of all customers and the general banking sector ..

Back