Living room Furniture (Built In)

Wexfordman

Hi,

Does anyone have any expereince of getting living room furnture built in to your room ? Specifically, we are trying to get some nice simple, modern looking units built into either side of a chimney breast. One side to hold TV, vide, sky box etc, the other side mainly shelving, but a bit snazzy looking if you know what I mean.

We have been looking around in the Cork area, and it is extremely hard to come by. THe only place where we did manage to get something wanted 11,000 Euros for the priveledge!!! 11K for a couple of built in units in two alcoves about 5 ft wide ? I could get a whole bloody kitchen for that!!

Anyone with any expereince or recommendations would be might appreciated. Somewhere with in distance of East cork would be even better.

Regards,
Wexfordman

Re: Living room Furnitre (Built In)

hi
i'm a carpenter who works around dublin.
11k!!!
sounds very expensive(is it made from zebrano)
If you like i could give you a quote or give me a buzz and i'd gladly give any advice i can.

Derek ph 0861726240

Hi! Tradesman, can you give me an idea of what to ask when talking to a carpenter? I need to get similar units to Wexforman done, except I'm looking for a more traditional style and more bookshelves!! Can you ask to see work that the person has already done? Or ask for references?

I already posted the question here: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=11200

ETA, trying to get a good job done, we've been making do with freestanding shelves for too long!!

The best thing is to pick something from a magazine or website that you like and ask him to copy it as best he can.The refrence thing is a tricky one, he'll never give a bad refrence or a phone number of a bad job he did.I suppose the best thing to do is go on recemondations from friends and family or ask for a few quote from different people and go with the one you get the price and best vibe from.
ask plenty of question
ie:
1) what material will he use
2) what finish we be on the material
3) how will the unit be fixed in
4) how will the shelves be held up
5) what sort of hinges
6) will there be a filler piece each side
7) will there be lights or sockets
a cheap way to go would be to get the units made from raw m.d.f and hand paint them yourself.

here's a web site with a few ideas for [broken link removed]

hope i've helped

Thanks for that! We have a plan made out and know what we want, it's just to get it done.

I realise MDF and paint-it-yourself, but with two children under two and working full time, I want the job done so that all I have to do is put the books back on the shelves, I don't have the time or energy for painting...