Living overseas with Irish var.int. res. loan; refinance with foreign cheaper loan?

Setanta12

Is this possible?

Home in Dublin. Financed with variable interest rate. Interest rates where we are should be cheaper. I'm guessing this is a slam-dunk question?

A German bank mortgage to replace Irish mortgage on Irish property, except we would remain in Germany. Mortgage would be 50 LTV.

Theoretically yes. In practice, no.
A German bank can't easily enforce security on an Irish property.
You could secure on a German property and use money to repay Irish mortgage.

Is this possible?

Home in Dublin. Financed with variable interest rate. Interest rates where we are should be cheaper. I'm guessing this is a slam-dunk question?
If you can make it happen you should go for it but in my experience in a somewhat similar scenario they won't lend to you for an Irish property. Ask them, what's the worst that could happen?

Is this possible?

My experience is the same as what @RedOnion said.

In the meantime you could look at fixed-rate options in Ireland as they can be lower than variable.

But if you are on an owner occupier mortgage and no longer living in the Dublin house it might be better not to poke the beast.

Back