Living in Bawn Grove or Inbhir Ide, Malahide

A

abcd1234

anyone have any experience of living in either Bawn Grove, Bawn or Inbhir Ide in Malahide? If so, any issues to look out for? Thanks.

As Malahide goes, one of the few afforable locations, and relatively close the the DART station.

Best of luck.

I live pretty close to the Bawn grove and it is an excellent location given its proximity to the Castle and the village. There is a childerns play ground 2 minutes walk from the Bawn. I use the word "children" loosely of course as I've seen adults on the swings too.

Inbhir is still close to the bottom of the Castle its par 3 golf course and too is pretty close the the village. Bawn would take around 7 minutes to get a pint in, Inbhir, may 3-4 minutes more before you had it in your hand.

However, there some yolks (18-25) that hang around the back of the Bawn estate (near Castlefield Manor entrance) that get pissed at the weekends, and burn some rubber too. Nothing really to worry about, they seem to meander into the castle when the groundsmen have finish locking up the Castle grounds. If you are worried, any stock advice would be to visit at Friday or Saturday night around 10ish.

These two estates are probably the most affordable in Malahide, save for one-two bed apts down the road. You will pay a premium to live in Malahide, but once you're there, you'll understand why.

The Bawn Grove has been in place now for about 22 odd years and has finally become more settled and established. There is a great community spirit in the area and it comes in the cachement area for St Oliver Plunkett's primary school which is a bonus. The downside is ths shortcut from the Broomfield/Church Road to the Back Road and the castle which can be very noisy at lunchtime when the kids from Malahide Community School congregate and also on the way home from school.
In the evening you do get a bit of an anti-social element but certainly not the worst I've experienced.
Inbhir Ide is far more mature and right beside another primary school - St John Paul's II. It's very close the estuary and can be really quiet in the evenings.
Both estates are about equidistant from the village centre and access to trains. The Bawn Grove is located closer to the 42 bus route and Inbhir Ide is closer to the 32X (express to Belfield), 102 (route from Sutton to Seabury) and 230 (route from Portmarnock to Dublin Airport) - note the 102 & 230 are due to be merged shortly.
Shop wise - there is a small local shopping centre right across the other side of the Yellow Walls Road (accessed via a pedestrian lane from Inbhir Ide), with a pharmacy. Up the hill at The Bawn Grove, there is a small "corner" shop but that's it unless you head down the village.
Hope that's some help to you - I've lived in the general area of both estates and they are both great areas to live, best of luck with your choice!

Thanks for your help. I'm a bit apprehensive about the "yolks" that were mentioned. Is this a continuous problem or something that happens the odd weekend?

I'm sure the vendors are quite aware of the problem. It is most weekends.
The gardai were up there last Friday night because these louts were burning some stuff. There was smoke everywhere. Contact Malahide Gardai and perhaps ask how frequent the get called up there.

It's ongoing unfortunately. Redo is referring to The Bawn by the way & not to Inbhir Ide - which is quieter in the evenings I feel.

Inbhir Ide is not a bad spot to live. Great location, walking dist. to the village, DART,230, 102, 105, and 42 bus stop, and malahide castle. Personally, I always thought that old inbhir ide, thats the part just off texas lane, was a little bit nicer than the other part,,, ie. the area around the primary school

Thanks for your help. I'm a bit apprehensive about the "yolks" that were mentioned. Is this a continuous problem or something that happens the odd weekend?

this happens all over Dublin and probably Ireland. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.