Living beside the Grand Canal Dublin 8 - issues?

leonmahon

I'm looking at a nice house on a quiet road in Dublin 8. The garden is a major selling point, it's really nice and oriented perfectly. But there is one cause of concern; the grand canal is basically at the end of the garden. I have concerns about rats/disease.

Anyone any experience/advice?

I live beside the Royal Canal in Dublin 15. The odd dead rat has appeared on our patio over the years, thanks to our two rat detectors (cats) Charlie and Elvis.

Our garden is walled, which may also assist. We've no experience of disease etc.

Past30

Risk of flooding would concern me and teh insurance companies have started asking if you are within XX metres of a river, lake etc, so I would say that would affect premiums.

Thanks guys. I can't imagine the canal flooding, though maybe I'm wrong. Rats/other pests and their diseases are our main worry, and we can't get cats, unfortunately, as I'm allergic.

The garden is also not walled, just a pretty crappy wooden fence at the end of the garden, then about a two feet of scrub/trees, then the canal.

Anyone else have any experiences?

The garden of my friend's house backs on to the canal in Dublin 8, she has lived there for 14 years & has never had any problems, I almost bought a house there myself, only I was gazumped! (remember those days) Maybe you could ask a few of the neighbours to put your mind at ease.

The Grand Canal runs past the front of my house (near the Coombe). Canals don't flood; it's not a factor for insurance. Yes, there are rats but we've never had them near the house. I only ever saw them when the dog took chase!

Personally speaking, I love that part of D8 and the canal has a surprisingly lovely amount of wildlife (animal and bird, not human!)

Risk can depend on where the water level is relative to the ground. With some parts of the Grand Canal and other canals, the water level is higher than the surrounding houses (banks are built up) - would have a much higher risk than if the canal was effectively in a valley below the surrounding housing.

Back