living abroad - renting out property here

S

speirbhean

I realise this is similar to a question posed here recently, but as all circumstances are different, it'd be great if anyone had seperate advice. A friend of mine has just spent a short time in England and has decided to stay for at least a year. She has decided to let out her apartment in Dublin (her PPR). She realises the initial drawbacks, ie she will have to pay the stamp duty clawback etc, but is there anything else she should be aware of? She is going to go through a letting agent who I beleive will look after collecting the tax for her (from what I can work out on revenue.ie). She'll only be gone for a year (it's a career break) so will she be considered resident or non resident? Or should she just get an accountant?

add on question

Also - to answer my own question last - can anyone recommend a reasonably priced accountant who would be willing to take at least an initial query over the phone?

Re: add on question

Speirbhean,

If you wish to email or pm me via my personal profile with your contact details I will phone you back to discuss what is involved, along with terms etc.

Re: add on question

She realises the initial drawbacks, ie she will have to pay the stamp duty clawback etc,

If she's only going abroad for a year (extended holiday, perhaps?), would she have to pay the stamp duty clawback?

i assumed

I assumed she would, from reading the revenue website. Is there any way around this? She could, for example, get a letter from her job proving she's on a year's leave of absence and that she will be home.

Back