Live feed interrupted when phone is used?

CCOVICH

I've taken the quote from Mr. C from another thread, but it's something that I have been meaning to ask.

We have UTV Clicksilver, with the relevant microfilter (AFAIK).

Generally, there is no problem using the phone and browsing the internet at the same time. However, in two instances recently, when using a 'live feed', for example, playing online poker, or watching a live subscription TV broadcast, the connection is severed when the phone is being used, and can take some time to return (I'm not sure if it does return while the phone is being used).

Is this usual, if not, is there a way to ensure that a live connection is not severed while using the phone?

Cheers.

I have software running nightly that records a radio stream between 19:00 and 22:00. Sometimes the recording is interrupted and I suspect the time of failure coincides with an inbound phone-call.

FWIW I use BT for broadband and have the microfilters installed.

Do you have a monitored alarm system? If so is this line fitted with a DSL micro filter?

My disconnection probs. with UTV clicksilver ( some time ago) when the phone would ring was a simple case of one of three microfilters not being connected properly - I use live feeds all the time and I don't have any problems generally. On rare occasions I might lose the connection but it wouldn't relate to an incoming or outgoing call and I can reconnect immediately.

Carpenter said:
Do you have a monitored alarm system? If so is this line fitted with a DSL micro filter?

No monitored alarm.

When we talk about microfilters, are we simply talking about the 'splitter'; that you plug the phone and modem connections into the phone socket on the wall?

TarfHead said:
I have software running nightly that records a radio stream between 19:00 and 22:00.

TarfHead - Off Topic I know - sorry. I am very interested in this! May I ask what software you use for this and also what set-up, TV (radio) card etc.

CCOVICH said:
When we talk about microfilters, are we simply talking about the 'splitter'; that you plug the phone and modem connections into the phone socket on the wall?
Yes - a splitter with an ADSL socket and a filtered phone socket. There are also standalone connectors with just a filtered phone socket for where you don't need to split. If you have multiple phone connectors around the house are you sure that all are filtered? If you can definitely link the connection problems with the phone usage (always or just sometimes?) then it sounds like a filtering problem. Perhaps get another filter/splitter in case the on you have is faulty.

Thanks. It is definitely a phone problem. I guess a trip to Peat's would have me sorted?

Not sure if this will sort your problem but it's worth eliminating a faulty microfilter/splitter as a possible cause of the problem. I can't find ADSL microfilters on the Peats website but most consumer electronics stores should have them these days.

hansov said:
TarfHead - Off Topic I know - sorry. I am very interested in this! May I ask what software you use for this and also what set-up, TV (radio) card etc.

It's called WM Recorder. You set a start time, duration, URL of the radio station stream and it records it to WMV format. You have to be logged on to the PC and have an always-on connection.

The WMV format is a pain cos my MP3/WMA player can't handle it but Windows Media Player can so I play the recorded streams through headphones while at work.

It doesn't work for all radio stations. For instance ..
- I wasn't able to get it working for BBC Radio
- I was trying to get a US radio station but when the stream started, the station played a promo for 20 seconds, paused and then started the content. However, the pause was handled by WM Recorder as end of stream so it stopped at that point.

I had to do one or two things to get WM Recorder to continue to work on my PC; details of which can't be posted here .

hansov seems to have assumed that you might be using a TV/FM tuner card but it seems that you are using radio feeds streamed over the web?