Little America

brodiebabe

I sometimes wonder if Ireland (especially Dublin) is beginning to resemble a "Little America". It think it has been heading this way for a long time with the growth and popularity of fast food restaraunts. Now there seems to be an influx of a certain coffee shop chain. Then to cap it all last night when the kids called to the door for Halloween goodies there was no mention of helping the Halloween party it was just "Trick or treat"!

I sometimes wonder if Ireland (especially Dublin) is beginning to resemble a "Little America".

America
is a big continent - well two actually. Which specific part did you have in mind? Even a ballpark area will do.
when the kids called to the door
"Kids"? Surely you mean "children" dude?

Later!

America is a big continent - well two actually. Which specific part did you have in mind? Even a ballpark area will do.

I was referring to North America, I would have thought this was apparent by my two references. The chain of coffee shops originated in Seattle and the most famous fast food chain (you know, the one with the golden arches) I was referring to was also started in North America.

North America - like Toronto?

Are you interested in sticking on topic and replying to my original post with anything worthwhile to say? Or are you just going to nit pick everything I write until the thread breaks down?

Then to cap it all last night when the kids called to the door for Halloween goodies there was no mention of helping the Halloween party it was just "Trick or treat"!

I was listening to Moncrieff on Newstalk on Monday. He had never heard of 'Help the Halloween party' - they concluded it must be a Dublin thing.

So maybe the absence of 'Help the Halloween party' is a sign of the 'culchie-isation' of Dublin, rather than US cultural hegemony ?

Not being from Dublin we would go out mumming/mummering reciting the rhyme "halloween is coming the geese are getting fat....." looking for cold hard cash.

Didn't realise it was only said in Dublin, that's interesting....

Not being from Dublin we would go out mumming/mummering reciting the rhyme "halloween is coming the geese are getting fat....." looking for cold hard cash.

My Dad used to say something like that for Christmas:
"Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat, please put a penny in the old mans hat. If you haven't got a penny, a hapenny will do. If you haven't got a hapenny, god bless you".

I've no idea why I still remember that!

Cahir - my dad says it too and also I noticed not one "penny for the pucha" which was what we said as in penny for the ghost but that was after being asked to tell a joke, sing a song or whatever you did to get the treats.

In saying that the US thing is "Trick or treat, smelly feet, give us something good to eat" and I never heard that either, just "please put something in the bag"

Not sure if we are becoming americanized but you can't watch all that US TV and not be sold some of it.

Round our parts we said "anything for the bobbin?"

I do think Irish folklore and custom is being diluted by americanisation, Halloween being a perfect example, its our festival after all. So next year, less of the decorations, no pumpkins, carve out turnips instead (Jack o' lantern is an Irish spirit wandering the earth forever with his lighted turnip, the Irish settlers couldn't grow turnip in America). Put a candle in the window, set an extra place setting, and make colcannon.

No, hallowe'en, its to make family members who have passed on to feel welcome.