Listed Thatch Cottage Renovation

D

DermotS

Hi Guys,
I want to review some options for a listed thatched farmhouse cottage. Since it was listed it's been unoccupied for about a decade, the thatch roof has all but fallen in and there has been a fire. It is of mud wall construction so is in a pretty sorry state. Some of my questions below may appear silly or have been answered previously so apologies for that.
1) Is it be likely that planning would be secured to demolish and rebuild on the same footprint a timber frame building, similar style with similar thatch roof? I would have close ties to the local area and would intend to live there permanently.
2) Would a Development Levy be applied to such a "re-construction"? Site has it's own well and septic tank(condition unknown, guessing it's not good)?
3) Could an adjoining stone/rubble build shed which is 4m away and perpendicular to the main cottage be joined, via corridor/wakway, and renovated to provide additional living space?

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience in renovating/re-constructing listed mud wall cottages.

Thanks,

Dermot

Hi DermotS,

Your three questions need to be addressed to the following people:

• your local planning officer
  • your local conservation officer
  • your architect
  • your engineer
The reason is that the answers will probably depend on specific information that relates to policies that are in the local County Development Plan or Local Area Plan or other plan that may apply.

You need the two professionals to properly assess the site, structure and any drainage solutions that were previously in force.
In addition, one of them should be in a position to conduct a competent Site Assessment as a registered Site Assessor.

You may also need to get the site surveyed or at least get an Ordnance Survey Map or land Registry Map to discuss this site with the Planning Officer.

You may need to be able to say and/or show that you have a legal interest in the site.
If not the planning officer may be unwilling to discuss your proposals.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back