List of Tracker Related Ombudsman Decisions

Dpdp01050842

My idea for this thread is for people to post (leaving out specific details which would identify their case or the bank) any decision they have received.

In my case I’ve been going through the process for circa 2 years with no decision. As far as I am aware at this point the Ombudsman has made zero decisions on tracker related issues be they simple or complex.

OK, so there appears to be 57 mentions of the word "tracker" in 4 cases.

DPD - Would you summarise these?

Brendan

Yes but it’s not up to date. Zero for 2019. Ombudsman recently stated decisions would start early 2019 but I’ve not heard of any.

In my case I’ve been going through the process for circa 2 years with no decision. As far as I am aware at this point the Ombudsman has made zero decisions on tracker related issues be they simple or complex.

Tracker complaints are on hold at the moment.

How will the FSPO handle my tracker complaint?
We will log your complaint and put it on hold until the Central Bank Examination has been completed and we have all the information we need to deal with your complaint. We will tell your lender that your complaint is on hold.

Tracker complaints are no longer on hold. The Ombudsman has started to review tracker complaints according to this extensive report on RTÉ website. The quote from the Ombudsman is at the bottom of the report, dated beginning of February 2019.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0208/1028451-tracker-mortgage-will-goodbody/

Yes that’s what I don’t get. No longer on hold but there doesn’t seem to be word of any decisions.

The website has no examples for 2019. When I search tracker I get results 53 and only 4 are available (only 3 relate to banking). Tracker is mentioned in the detail but none of the cases seem to be similar to the popular cohorts mentioned here.

“Mr Deering says there are huge differences between the cases and so each needs to be examined on its own, through a process of investigation, adjudication and final decision.

"I’m not ruling out mediation," he said. "But the vast majority will involve full investigation and that will involve us looking at the material, adjudicating and making a ruling."

As a result it will take some time to complete, he cautioned, although the first decisions will start coming early this year.”

Last edited:
The website has no examples for 2019.
I was looking at this after my earlier comment. It looks like they were all published on 1 day, so I don't know if they will only be an annual update.

When I search tracker I get results 53 and only 4 are available (only 3 relate to banking).
I thought it was just me! Seems to be an issue with their website in the keywords search option, as I seem to be able to get them using the other search.

To the best of my knowledge, the Ombudsman publishes select decisions once a year around the time of the annual review. Since the website was revamped the pre-2016 decisions are harder to find. It might be easier to use the WaybackMachine?

I got this statement from the FSPO's office just now.

“The Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman (FSPO) was establish on 1 January 2018 and given the power to publish his decisions. He published his 2018 decisions in January 2019. This did not include and tracker mortgage decisions as tracker complaints were on hold until late 2018 and therefore no tracker mortgage complaint decisions issued in 2018. A number of tracker complaints are under active investigation and adjudication at the moment (March 2019) and decisions have commenced to issue. The FSPO proposes to publish all decisions (including tracker complaint decisions) issued between January and June 2019 in July 2019.

The predecessors of the FSPO, the Financial Services Ombudsman and the Pensions Ombudsman did not publish decisions as they did not have the legislative basis to do so.”

So if you have found 4 tracker decisions they just included the word "tracker" but the substantive issue was the unfair loss of the tracker, the amount of compensation or the wrong rate.

As the statement says, he has begun to issue the decisions. If anyone has received any of these decisions, then they could publish them now.

Brendan

“The FSPO proposes to publish all decisions (including tracker complaint decisions) issued between January and June 2019 in July 2019.”

Yet there still has no been one person on here saying a decision was reached. Their own statement said the initial decisions would be made early this year. We’ve moved into Q2 now and nothing. I understand they have huge numbers to get through but at this rate it will be years. Mine is only with them about 18 months but that’s too long. I’m sure others are longer.

As far as I know how the process should work. The mediation process take about 12 weeks. If there is a resolution it will be confidential. If theres no resolution it moves on to the investigation phase and is a separate department, which can take about a year

I am guessing decisions published are only cases that have gone through the investigation/adjudication phases. So will be a while yet before tracker case decisions are published

What I have been told by FPSO.
Examination is done by dates of when complaint was received by their office.
Mine was January 2018,
Meditation with kbc December 2018 which was unsuccessful.
Case inline to be investigated.

Yes - they had a token effort at mediation. Then over a year of exchange of submissions and by start of this year it was close to being adjudicated (was told it was taking so long as it was complicated). The the fso published their 2018 decisions in January so I sent in some more comments and once that exchange of views (!!) are finalised I have been told it will be adjudicated quickly thereafter I.e. within a couple of months

This has been discussed on an Ulster Bank thread but there is now conformation of a small number of Tracker Related Appeals to the Ombudsman. 10 Ulster Bank customers that appealed the level of compensation to the independent appeals panel only to be be rejected followed on with an Appeal to the Ombudsman. Of these ten, the Ombudsman sided with the customer on five occasions. A whopping 50% of Ombudsman appeals were upheld. I’ve long expected this was going to be the case with the appeals panel decisions and it’s great to hear decisions are now coming through. All these decisions will be published in July.

I don’t believe the banks will consider these decisions and look to apply them to customers who have not or have not yet appealed to the Ombudsman and people will all need to go through all the way to the FSPO.

Of course we don’t know the details or the amounts awarded, but for me, it indicates that unfortunately it will often be the case that people will require further steps after the independent appeals panel.

Back