List: November 24th - What services will not be availalbe on this "protest day"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: November 24

What should people do who are not union members?

Work place will not be open. HR have not issued any circuler.

Bit of a mess.

Last edited:

Is the strike only for public sector workers? I'm in a union in the private sector and I have heard absolutely nothing.

I presume there was nothing to stop a union in the private sector balloting for a days strike action but I'm not aware of any that have. I think the unions fear the reaction they'd get if they did ballot for it in the private sector at this stage

HR have not issued any circuler.
Have you asked if the building will be open?
I presume there was nothing to stop a union in the private sector balloting for a days strike action but I'm not aware of any that have. I think the unions fear the reaction they'd get if they did ballot for it in the private sector at this stage
You miss the point. The reason for the protest by public sector employees is because they are protesting at the proposed cutting of wages by their employer, the Govt. It is not the case that 'unions fear the reaction' of balloting in the private sector. They have no dispute with private sector employers in general (though there are individual cases of dispute of course).

The building may very well be closed.

The porter will not be opening it. But Management might.

Last edited:

Why not ask one of the people who usually opens it for a loan of their keys for the day? I'm sure there's someone that "management" would trust with the alarm code.

What do you do when the Porter is off sick?

You know if you don't want to go work just don't bother.

They are on strike afaik.

I'm waiting to get some information with this in mind. I might be transfered to another building which might be open.

Its all up in the air to be honest.

Are people allowed to use an uncertified sick day or annual leave?

So it turns out the entire Public Sector would be crippled if half a dozen guys with the keys went on strike. Good thing nobody told the porters this when there was still stup1d floating around or we would have made millionaires of them. Principle Officer grades each and every one.

Are people allowed to use an uncertified sick day or annual leave?

We have just got an email from Personnel saying that no annual or flexi leave can be authorised for that day unless managers are fully satisfied that the leave is for pressing bona fide reasons unconnected with the industrial action.

You are never 'allowed' to use an uncertified sick day for another purpose. (Okay Caveat, you can calm down now).

I don't know what the situation is if you're genuinely ill. Apparently Dept of Finance are going to issue a circular shortly.

I can't man the office myself - the only thing is that the office may not open.

Otherwise, I'll take it easy for the day.

Management won't be doing it if it not part of their normal duties. They won't do the work of a striking staff member.

So it turns out the entire Public Sector would be crippled if half a dozen guys with the keys went on strike.
Certainly not in my organisation - several members of management would have keys and would regularly open (and more regularly close) the building.

Impact issued some guidelines today. They have confirmed Christmas Day staffing levels will apply. They will advise later on weddings and swine flu clinics. HSE corporate have confirmed Consultants, NCHD's, Dentists and Lab Scientists are not protesting. It was a long mail so I only skimmed it.

My brother (a PS) told me that his union were 50:50 over the strike until that AIB executive's pay made the headlines this week. Now they are 90:10 in favour.

My brother (a PS) told me that his union were 50:50 over the strike until that AIB executive's pay made the headlines this week. Now they are 90:10 in favour.

You meant that haven't been balloted yet?
If they were balloted and it was 50:50 what decision was made?

Status
Not open for further replies.