Lisbon and its environs

jph

Hi,
I'm thinking of going to Portugal for a week in August but to the Lisbon area rather than the Algarve.

Has anyone been there? and if so any tips re what to do etc.

Thanks so much.

jph

Lisbon is a nice place to visit. Interesting city. Lots of sandy beaches on the way out towards Cascais. Trains and busses to Cascais from city. Belem has lots of interesting places. I havnt been across the bridge so unsure of what is there......beach resorts?

We are thinking of going to the Lisbon coast for holidays in either July or August. We would like to be close enough to visit Lisbon city but not to stay there. Where is the best beach resort to stay within a reasonable commuting distance to the city?

Also is it better to DIY with flights and accommodation or to book with travel company?

I did post this query in the last 18 months and got some very good replies - I just can't find it in the thread now so apologies for re-posting.

Many thanks
jph

Estoril and Cascais are the two closest beach resorts to Lisbon - about 30 minutes by train from the city centre.

I'd second babaduck. Train station basically on the beach with frequent trains straight into Lisbon. The terminal station in Lisbon is just below the Bairro Alto and the city is pretty walkable (be warned though, loads of steep hills and cobbled paving - to say nothing of some crazy driving!).

Train website is www.cp.pt, the line you are looking for is the Caiscais line. In Lisbon itself. It is divided into several areas and they each have their own charms, it is a lovely city to explore.
South of the river is quite pretty and agricultural once you get out of the commuter area, there is that massive statue, the Cristo Rey (a match to Cristo Redentor in Rio) and there are some impressive castles and pleasant wineries there (try getting to the Jose Maria De Fonseca winery in Azeitao). Public transport south of the Tagus is provided by TST (Transportes Sul do Tejo) and the commuter train to the Setubal peninsula is the Fertagus which also runs some connecting buses to some of the stations. Unfortunately not all of the websites have an english language version but generally it is possible to puzzle them out.
I would also recommend visiting Sintra - it is about an hour from Central Lisbon on the train (the Sintra line on the CP website). Quite touristy but really beautiful.

Back