Linksys installation problems

MACTHEKNIFE

Hi,

Got the Linksys recently and am having major difficulties getting it working. UTV Internet supplied a Creative Labs modem but even following their instructions it doesn't seem to work - Just wondering if anyone else has had problems?

MAC

I got my http://www.d-link.com/ads/?theURL=%2Fproducts%2F%3Fmodel%3DDI-524&adID=hp_di-524 (D-Link DI-524) working with the Creative Blaster ADSL modem provided by UTV easily enough. What problems are you having? Detailed error messages or log info would obviously help.

Thanks Clubman,

When I run the linksys install software it says it cannot connect to the internet?

MAC

ClubMan said:
Did you find it? What Linksys model are you using?

I have Lynksys WRT54GS and got a Broadband Blaster DSL Router from Creative Labs. Still no luck as yet................

MAC

Is it running the latest [broken link removed]? Are you connecting the Linksys Internet port to the Creative modem? If so try one of the four normal ports instead. I have found that the Internet ports on many wireless routers don't work in this way but never figured out why. I have such a port on my D-Link wireless router but connecting it to my Creative ADSL modem did not work whereas using a normal port did. The same thing happened on several other setups that I've had experience of. I think that you need an ADSL modem only on the other side of such a port and most of the so called ADSL modems given out by ISPs are, in fact, basic routers.

tonka said:
It must run in Bridging mode

oops I meant your Creative modem must run in Bridging mode , sorry

Linksys does PPPoE connection instead of it and thru it.

In a nutshell

a DSL modem has a PPP stack (a dialler) , it stores your username and password and dials up for you to your service provider an picks up an IP address .

Putting the DSL modem into bridging mode means that the Linksys dials thru the DSL modem and the Linksys runs PPPoE and stores your username and password for the ISP and forwards it on thru the DSL modem .

Your IP address is assigned to the Linksys, the modem will not pick it up for you and pass it in .

Thanks for the summary. My setup is actually that the Creative ADSL router is doing the PPPoE stuff and the wireless router just connects to that "on the inside". This means that the ADSL router is on 192.168.1.1 while the wireless router is on 192.168.0.1. Probably not the most efficient setup but it worked and I didn't want to mess with it unnecessarily.