lining or replacing old chimney

A

annshanley

could someone give me some advice.
We have a very big old brick chimney in a 1 story cottage, It is 9x3 feet in one room and a large corner in another room. Should we remove it altogether and build new one or should we get it lined.

I am in the same position, here's what I'm doing; It's a balancing act between aesthetics/cosmetics and practicality. The old chimney will be cold, inefficient, probably damp and possibly unsound.

I am removing the chimney down to the level of the stone plinth (approx 7 feet above finished floor level), building a modern insulated (lined pumice) chimney to replace the original brick. The bricks are old, hand-made and very rustic. Because they were laid/plastered with lime they are easily reclaimed, cleaned up, and will be used to make an attractive "face" to the new chimney.

Google for Anki and Isokern chimneys to see the type of system I'm talking about.

HTH

a friend of mine just had a job done on a period home re-doing chimney - can't remember the name of the Irish firm he used for consultancy advice (can't get him on the phone - will post later if I remember) - have the url though as it was obvious - something like chimneyproblems.com - google it - don't know how it works - I think they'll do the work or just advise or something else - who knows - no idea of costs either so maybe not much help!

I would reline (twin walled flue) the chimney as its lightly to be cheaper, quicker and cleaner,and you keep the original look.

Joejoe