Line rental - change from Eircom

midland muck

Hi all,
Is it possible to change line rental form eircom to someone like BT etc.? I have cheap call charges with cinergi but it is the line rental that is the killer.
Thanks

I would have thought you would have to swap your calls to BT too. eircom owns most of the lines in Ireland. BT pay eircom the line rental (@ wholesale rate) so I couldn't see them being to happy to to take you on as a customer for a couple of euros a month. It would probably cost them that in admin costs.

You will pay the line rental no matter who you go with. Some companies bundle it into their call packages ie BT have an offer at the moment €45 a month for line rental, broadband, and unlimited national landline and UK calls. Some firms offer line rental a couple of euro cheaper (€20/21) but you have to give them your call revenue too.

midland muck said:
Is it possible to change line rental form eircom to someone like BT etc.? I have cheap call charges with cinergi but it is the line rental that is the killer.
The line rental is usually the most expensive part of the phone bill.

Switching to another company (BT, Smart etc.) can provide far better value depending on what sort of package you are looking for. Look for the deal which best suits your needs/wallet.

As for the cheap calls with Cinergi, this can be replaced with a service such as [broken link removed]. Having a quick look at the Cinergi offers, as long as you make less than 200 national (Irish landline) calls a month you'll be better off on 13434 (and you lose that silly hang up after an hour thing). I couldn't find any details on the mobile or international costs (didn't look too hard to be honest) but 13434 is very competitive on these too.

I've no connection with the company other than using their service, which I find excellent. I've a number of relatives etc. who were "afraid" to switch telecoms company completely (partly due to the Eircom scares of you'll be waiting months for our technicians to come fix your line should it break [- my ComReg complaint appears to have gone nowhere]), so at least with a call out service such as this they can avail of cheap calls without switching providers. (13434 acts like using a phone card abroad [dial a number and get charged by someone other than your phone company] and bills directly to your Credit Card)

Back