Line not suitable for Broadband

denmcn

Hi all,

Our phone is connected to a DSL enabled exchange and although I only live 2.5 miles as the crow flies from the exchange the phone line is "not suitable for Broadband".

Does anyone know if this is likely to change or am I just banging my head off a brick wall constantly checking the number on various broadband providers websites? Yeah, I know I could get wireless but I dont see why I should have to fork out more for the same result.

TIA,
denmcn

If it's a new number it may not be in the database of 'suitable' number yet (I had a problem with this when I first tried to get BB). If so then you need to get on to Eircom to sort it out - once they've cleared the number you can purchase the service from any provider. Check with your neighbours to see if any of them have broadband.

Thats that then . No DSL for you unless you can hear crackling or noise and get a technician out to fix it .

i had the same problem, eircom fixed it for me, took them a while and I called them to 'remind' them a good few times but it got done in the end!

It may be that your line is on a "carrier". It is a way of sharing a single copper wire with multiple other customers somewhere in the path between you and the exchange. Broadband needs a dedicated copper wire all the way to the exchange. If there is spare copper your line could be moved so you should be able to get broadband. Get onto Eircom and tell them you want broadband they should put you onto the list of people needing work by the local technicians.