Limerick Tunnel

Firefly

Just wondering if anyone has used this. Am planning a trip from Cork to Galway soon - will I be able to take this? Also, is it well sign-posted etc? All advice welcome!

Makes a big difference. About 15-45 minutes depending on severity of traffic.

Just be careful coming from Cork. The old sign for Galway/Shannon is still there and this takes you in by Raheen and through the Patrickswell and Raheen roundabout. You won't be able to get back on to the tunnel road until you reach the cement factory. I made this mistake!! Best to ignore the first sign for Galway and keep going. I have been assured that there is a second one which will send you to the tunnel without the detour.

Coming from Galway it is very easy. In fact, you have to turn off the motorway to avoid the tunnel. I think its €1.80 each way and well worth it to avoid the traffic.

Best thing to do is stay on the M20 until you come to the junction of the N18, M7 and M20, not sure of the junction number

At this junction you are heading for the N18, Shannon, Galway Direction.

Its Junction 1 of the M20 but I dont know what Junction number of the M7 it is. It could be 26 or something. I use it nearly every day.

The Tunnel is great but a lot of people in Limerick are being very miserly about it and are avoiding it. The queue on the Shannon side to get back onto the old D/C is amazing at rush hour.

It's not just being miserly, there is no access to the N18 from the North Side of the city except near the Radissson hotel, this in itself along with the roadworks near the Two Mile Inn makes the traffic look a lot heaveir than it should be.

It's not just being miserly, there is no access to the N18 from the North Side of the city except near the Radissson hotel, this in itself along with the roadworks near the Two Mile Inn makes the traffic look a lot heaveir than it should be.

They have to build another roundabout you see back where the Ford Dealership is which is making things worse.