Limerick - commute/city.

Vanilla

I am looking for advice for a young family who need to relocate near or in Limerick- one working in UL, the other not sure yet. Two young children who will need childcare/montessori. They are open to living outside Limerick and commuting but would prefer to live in or near at least a village with a good primary school or preferably a montessori. They are contemplating renting for a while to check out areas. I may be from neighbouring Kerry but I wouldnt know where to begin in terms of where there would be good childcare in Limerick or the surrounds and balancing that with a commute. I'd appreciate any advice. I've read previous threads in re Limerick. What about Killaloe or Tuamgraney- are these really commutable?

What about Annacotty, very close to UL, close to town it's a nice area and there are a few places for childcare in the area.

The key in Limerick is to make sure your commute doesn't take you over the shannon bridges as they are natural bottlenecks. The tunnel will improve this situation but it won't be ready until 2009. For this reason I would say avoid Clare unless the benefits outweigh a nasty commute.

Annacotty, Monaleen in Castletroy, would also be very convient particularly if you are in UL. The UL side of the Dublin road would have a lot of student estates so would be less desirable for a young family.

Dooradoyle, Raheen would be possibilities with commutes anywhere from 20-30 minutes. A bit like Castletroy/Annacotty these are big suburban areas with good ammenities and childcare options.

Killaloe and Adare are nice villages and commute times would probably be not more than 30-40 minutes. They are very expensive though. Don't know about childcare there they as obviously they are much smaller communities.
I think renting for a while would be a good idea as house prices are no longer rising and it will give you a better feel for an area.

Hi Vanilla,

I used to live in Killaloe up until bout 2 months ago and commute to UL would be 30 mins tops, the area to choose is the Tipp side Ballina cause thats where most of the development has taken place. The town itself has an abundance of childcare facilities and between Ballina & Killaloe there are 3 national schools 1 boys and 1 girls in Killaloe and mixed in Ballina. In terms of kids activities there's loads for them to do between drama, GAA, rugby, park, etc.

On the Limerick side Dooradoyle/Raheen is bout 15/20 min commute on the bypass, again plenty of facilities, but it is quite built up if your used to a bit of space. This area is prob close to its ceiling price in terms of appreciation in the near future, but it always sells well and there is usually a bit on offer so there is plenty of choice. Annacotty would be well placed for your situation as close enough to UL very popular residential location and still on the rise, Milford national school, and childcare facilities, plus you have access to the bypass should your other half find work away from the area. At the moment closer in to Castletroy there are some good prices on new developments. the shadow of students is not what it once was as most are now living on campus in new apartments or very close to the university. .

hope info is of some use

How about commute from Killaloe to city centre? Would that be much longer? Or Annacotty to centre?

I was driving through Limerick the other day coming from Clare and it took an hour to get from Ennis/Galway side to Kerry side! That is madness.

As I have already said if you have to go over one of the Shannon bridges to get to where you are going at rush hour it will be nasty.

Most other routes into the city center (with maybe the exception of the dock road) are busy but not head-wreckingly so. Killaloe to city center would probably be about 45-60 mins depending on time of day/year.

BTW I have heard capacity at national schools in killaloe is pretty stretched so you might want to give them a ring.

Another option that is cheaper and closer to limerck city than Killaloe is Newport Co Tipperary. Nice small growing village with a lot of new/second hand houses for sale. Pay around 100K less than Killaloe and be closer to town.

The commute from killaloe to city centre via the 'back road' is still only 30 mins max. I've done it for bout 10 years on daily basis. Like most national schools things are stretched, but Ballina have recently carried out improvements and have extended the school. you can get detached home in Newport for c.€360,000 (new) and similiar prices can be obtained in Killaloe, the price will only shoot up when you buy closer to the lake or 'prime' developments, a quick look a daft and you can see the variety currently on offer.

castleconnell village, just further out than annacotty would also be nice, and there are new developments going in there atm. 5/10 mins from UL/tech park. city times would depend on traffic and where you're going in the city, it may be easier to take the south ring and pick a suitable exit.
if you're looking for a more rural area, but still close, murroe might suit.

As has already been said avoid crossing the bridges at all costs.

What about Nenagh? With a motorway from Nenagh to Limerick under construction it will be handy for UL although I believe it will be tolled.

I would assume Nenagh to be a bit cheaper to buy/rent.

I also think Murroe is a lovely spot. There is a development in the village, so plenty of houses for sale. Your in the countryside, close to Glenstal Abbey and also very close to the UL side of Limerick.

I don't know whether there is pressure on numbers for the primary school, but you should check that out if you are looking at houses there.

Is Murroe in Clare or Limerick?

Would never have thought of Newport because of the county line, thanks also for that tip.

I used to work in Tipperary a few years back and although I didnt work in Nenagh I often visited for work. It used to be a bit, I don't know, downhill/slightly rough? Has it changed?

murroe is in limerick, seems like it's the townland that's mainly on right hand side of dublin road as you leave limerick, from annacotty to before newport and stretches across to the tipperary road.

I wouldn't think you'd need to go all the way to nenagh to save on price.

you may also find something you like in the o'briens bridge and bridgetown areas (just on the clare side, past castleconnell, but they've a bridge over to limerick side, so still only about 15 mins from UL) there are some recent small developments around there, and a few sites too.

Murroe, along with Castleconnell, would be the closest country village on the UL side of Limerick, like other posters have said, you also have Newport, just a bit further out. I think Killaloe and Nenagh are a bit far out, although Killaloe has lovely countryside and views.

Annacotty would be an actual suburb of Limerick rather than a country village. I don't actually think there is many students in Annacotty, they usually stay closer to UL in Castletroy and use the campus accomadation.

I never heard of Nenagh being any rougher than any other Tipperary town. I would have thought maybe Tipp town and Thurles would have a slightly worse reputation than Nenagh. I don't know how well founded those reputations are though, I personally never had any problem in any of those towns.

yeah, there used to be 13 pubs and loads of fighting. Not anymore - its alovely place with only the 5 pubs now. All of which are really nice too.
Great little village where everyone knows everyone else. (even the blowins from limerick city get a look in now and again.)

i know another poster said the price of houses in killaloe and newport are the same - but sure ill let you be the judge of that - easy to check it on daft. i stand over my statement that they are 100k dearer in killaloe/ballina.

Interesting, thanks.

I think mainly the search will be child-driven. So can I impose upon the posters to ask- if you were to choose an area entirely driven by access to a good primary and secondary school, and in the interim montessori etc. where would that area be?

My previous posts about similiarity in prices stem from experience in selling properties in both areas, there is definitely more expensive homes in killaloe, but like i stated these are usually based closer to the lake. Answering your question on schools, sounds like Annacotty is your best bet, schools at both levels in the area are very prominent and sought after.

you mentioned UL. If that is part of your car journey then you could enquire about the oncampus creche there - Silver Apples. May only be for students/faculty not sure. I recon that all depends on commute - wether you prefer to have the kids close to where the house is - or where the work is.

If more than one person is due to collect/drop off then consider any creche near the bypass...there is a good one in monaleen and one on the kilmurry roundabout as well.

Are there any housing estates not near the lake in ballina killaloe?

Do they want to move out to village outside limerick I moved from Kerry border to Monaleen a few years ago and would not live anywhere else now as have everything on my door step and lovely area to live in two primary schools to chose new secorndary school from (when time comes and it does so fast) and lots of child care and I can walk to UL. I had intended to move out the country but now anywhere further out than this would be too far as I have everything on my door step even the bus (dont ever use it - maybe someday). Large range of property at moment to chose from great bargains and property will hold it's value cant say the same for country propertys.