Like Santorini but closer?

muffin1973

Hi all,

We were looking at going to Santorini for a week's holidays this summer, found what looks like a fabulous place to stay but then started looking into flights and it seems a bit awkward to get there.

Does anyone know of anywhere like Santorini i.e. on the coast, hot, quiet and romantic but that's closer to home (Dublin)? Or at least can be reached by flying direct from Dublin...

Thanks,

M

We are thinking of flying to Croatia, the dubrovnik Riviera, highly recommended and ticks all your boxes you have up above, hopefuly staying at hotel argentina, very nice looking.

Santorini is stunning. It is a shame you cannot get there direct now. Went from Cork last yearon XL ( got back before they folded phew) . How about Zykanthos? You can do that from Dublin.

The Amalfi coast is amazing! I've been to Santorini and I loved it and I loved Positano just as much!

Dont go to Zykanthos, it is a bit of a dump. Most of the holiday accommodation have been build near the beaches where the locals dont live so have become these tacky 'resorts' with McDonalds and every pub showing sky sports etc. Nothing authentic about it.

It is a beautiful island when you get away from the tourist areas but i felt it had been ruined by the bad development.

Now kefalonia beside it is another story. that looked amazing and didnt seem to have made the same planning mistakes Zykanthos did. I want to go back there.

Adored Santorini and would also recommend Amalfi Coast like Greg Barry did as a good alternative? Pricier we found but amazing! Weather was awful though when we visited in June so not as reliable as the hot Greek sun.

Taormina in Sicilly - Aerlingus fly to Catania, a little more buzz than Sardinia - Algherro imho.

Agree Dubrovink is a wee gem, even with all the cruise ships that drop ancor.

For both places would recommend June and September.

Back