Lighting a large open plan area?

PinotNoir

Hi all! Any tips for us regarding lighting arrangements/installation for the new open plan kitchen/dining/living area.

There will be fairly high ceilings, but we are worried about putting in spots (not suitable?) and also about the new lighting fixture rules that are coming in sometime over the next year or two.

Does anyone have any advice or more info?

Thanks - any help much appreciated.

How large is the area and how high are the ceilings? What level of task illumination do you want (bright, relaxed)?

I'm not aware of any new lighting fixture rules coming out in two years, where did you hear that? And why would you be worried about downlighters being unsuitable? They would be the standard fittings I would recommend.

What does your electrician say about it?

Hi Copper

Far as I know (and admittedly, it's not very much);), the DOE are introducing new guidelines on what kind of bulbs and fitting may be sold.
An electrician acquaintance mentioned in passing that a lot of stuff in the shops will be sold off, as it will become obsolete in the medium term. I was wondering if any AAM'ers knew any more about this.

Our area is about 40sqm

I thought recessed spots might be awkard in a high ceiling should one of them go?

We extended downstairs some years ago and now have an open plan Kitchen / Dining / Lounge Area, incl kitchen counter and island.
These were 2 separate rooms and so now we have 2 apex / hipped roofs. If you can imagine, 2 oblongs with a semi-hexagon on each end, side by side. We have 6 spots in each oblong and 3 in each semi-hexagon, all on separate switches.

The best thing we did was also include Lamp sockets that can be turned on from another light switch, 3 sockets in each semi-hexagon. We have 3 spearate light switches in each side of the downstairs extension, which covers all the possibilities.

All depends on what lighting suits you. The government are trying to do away with the GLS lamp the normal bulbs as everyone calls then you buy from the supermarket, this I would say will eventually happen but not for sometime and besides there is a range out there off energy efficient lamps that will actually dim by Megaman www.megamanuk.com .

Best bet try B&Q, Home base, electrical wholesalers for some ideas, I would personally treat the areas as separate lighting scenes with independent switching dimmable in dinning and living areas. My ideas;

Kitchen

High lighting levels, a lot of tasks in hand, Low Voltage(LV) spotlights singular, double suspended(great for an island unit) Switch separately as you will need all the lighting on when you are cooking but only background lighting late in the evening when you are wandering around for the biscuit tin.

Dinning

If you want a defined area and know where the dining table is going I would highly recommend two pendants over the table, dimmable.

Living

Table/floor standing lamps could be switched from a 5 amp socket, recessed down lights

The key is don’t pepper the ceilings with loads of down lights in a regular array max four and compliment with table or floor standing lamps. Pick out key features you would like to have lit on an evening.

GLS lighting fittings using either bayonet cap or Edison screw will be eventually replaced with energy saving lamps.

Mains voltage down lights GU10 230V do not give a good light output compared to
LV lamps, but LED technology is advancing and you will find replacements with LED lamps and energy saving lamps but both have poor light output. LED is improving though.

Low voltage 12V, require a transformer can’t be beaten at the moment, great light output, dimmable, great colour rendering( cool white, warm white etc)

Try the links below for some ideas;

www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk

www.onlinelighting.co.uk/shop/indoor-lighting/kitchen-lighting.html

Back