Lightening strike - phone but no internet

Arabella

Long story short. A week ago while on line the room was lit up by a huge flash of lightening. At the same instant a loud frizzling noise came from our chimney where Digiweb aerial is sited. Our phone is Digiweb and is ok. Guy on problem line said to get a new cable from box with flashing lights to laptop. Did and no good. A second person on the help line sent out a new box for free. Still no good. A knowledgeable person said the power pack (Dell) was fried. Borrowed one and still no good. The computer boots up but thats about it. It just says that a local cable is the fault. Anyone have any ideas how to get it up and running again? Will be back on line tomorrow evening.

If the Dell boots then its not the power pack.

I would guess its blown the ports (ethernet/USB) that connect to the Digiweb box.

Try with a different computer/laptop.

After another call to provider was informed that I should have reset the new box. None of the earlier help people had told me this :mad:. Borrowed a friends laptop and everything is working. Have yet to try my own power pack. I think that may have been damaged. Aah, the power of God :).

If the other laptop works then its your laptop and power pack.

If you machine boots then its the not your power pack.

Has to be the ethernet ports on your laptop. Or something else on the laptop.

You can get a power strip that have surge protection that has a passthrough for the ethernet. Might be an idea to get that. If you use WiFi then its not an issue.

All I can get at the moment is a very slow connection off 3com!?! My work laptop is fine off the same (Digiweb)connection. Bought a new powerpack €70 and was hoping that a wireless router will save me having to buy a new network card. Hope this will sort things out.

I don't think its the power pack. BTW Peats quoted me 50 for a powerpack earlier in the week. I think its your ethernet ports. I'd have tried the WiFi first.

Back