Light Scratch on a Car

laraching

I've just bought a new car, color is Silver (metallic paint). I've noticed that there's a lot of light scratches all over the car. I was thinking that it may be because when washing the car and I am using a sponge. It is not so obvious with the silver one, but it may be on Black cars. you can see it when looking very close to it.. Is this normal for the paint they used for the car? Do I have to use pressure washer instead of sponge or brush? Does anyone noticed this light scratches with their cars too?

Hi,

There could possibly be small stones on the sponge when you are washing the car, sponge easily picks up these stones particularly when you are washing the lower part of the car. My advice would be to powerwash the car first to remove most of the dirt etc and then you can wash the car with a sponge.

Jockey

Side lighting on a car that is even only a few days old will reveal very fine scratches. These are inevitable and are generally confined to the clear lacquer finish which is applied over the metallic colour. As suggested it is very important to remove heavy dirt first before "rubbing" this into your car's paintwork.

Use Turtlewax/Autoglym to bring up the colour and give it shine.
Just washing a car isnt enough these days.
The weather dulls the bodywork generally so a good wax makes all the difference and protects your paintwork from minor scuffs.

laraching - i take it you want to repair the light scratces on the lacquer of the paint work rather than shining over them.
So you know the cause - it might also be worth looking at Swisoll products they provide Paint rubber,cleaning fluids and wax etc. to help restore the original finish.. probably more expensive - but worth looking at their web site.

Hi,

There could possibly be small stones on the sponge when you are washing the car, sponge easily picks up these stones particularly when you are washing the lower part of the car. My advice would be to powerwash the car first to remove most of the dirt etc and then you can wash the car with a sponge.

Jockey

Yeah your right, what i used to do is just washed it up with hose from the tap. Then use the sponge.

Thank you all for the replies. I will do all your suggestions.

hi

anybody have use Turtle WAx Color magic for a Metallic coloured car?
my car is a Blue metallic one, not too sure which colour to go for when buying Turtlewax Colour magic to fix light scratch on my car's body.
theres so many different type of blue in Halfords etc. the code they have are totally different than what i have on my log book.

Back