Light & Heat allowable expenses

chelsea07

Hi

I set up a company with my home address as the business address, I work away from home, what % of gas and electricity could I claim as a business expenses. I was recommended between 10-20%

thanks

I believe you add
heat( gas oil coal) invoices
esb 6bills/6
insurance renewal

and you are allowed 1/6 the total

also allowed internet costs, mobile phone costs, professional memberships, tecnicial books

Last edited:
Hi

I set up a company with my home address as the business address, I work away from home

what % of gas and electricity could I claim as a business expenses.
If it just the registered business address but you don't actually work there then are you sure that you can claim any such expenses at all?
I was recommended between 10-20% thanks
By whom? Do you not have an accountant? Are there any potential implications of claiming such expenses if applicable (e.g. CGT on eventual resale of property)?

I suppose it depends on the extent of your dependence on it? For example, I am a graphic & web designer so broadband connection is vital to my business as I'm based at home. If I am working at home I am generally using it all day. If I'm out of the 'office' at a client's premises all day it is not being used for personal use either so I can safely claim the majority if not all of the costs of the service.

As you say, you work away from home, so you could perhaps purchase mobile broadband from one of phone providers and claim the full amount as an expense. However, as you don't work from home, then justifying the full costs to have the service at home might be difficult.

Are there any potential implications of claiming such expenses if applicable (e.g. CGT on eventual resale of property)?
This is something I have seen approached a number of times here on AAM. I was under the impression that unless you are charging the company rent there would be no CGT implications.

I understand that being 'under the impression' and being 'absolutely sure' are two different things ;) but it does seem like the reasonable approach.

I must check this with my accountant.

Back