Lidl's reduced prices are often only for Lidl Plus app. users

TrundleAlong

I do a shop in Lidl about once a month. I pick up the items that I cannot get elsewhere.

Today I was in Lidl Stillorgan. Just inside the door they have their reduced fruit and veg section, as they have always had.

I picked up bananas and cherry tomatoes that were €1.79 now €1.29 and €1.29 now 89c. Like I have always done.

At the checkout I was charged the full price. When I queried this I was told that the lower prices were Lidl Plus prices.

I went back and saw that there was a small sign displayed to the side that said the lower prices were only available with Lidl Plus, but where the items were priced it said nothing about Lidl Plus. At least in Tesco, the items that are reduced in price are clearly labeled "with Clubcard".

When did Lidl start doing this?

I think that the reduced in price item should state at the price point that it is a Lidl Plus item......not on a sign separate to the pricing.

Both the Tesco and Dunnes reductions are much clearer and as Odyssey says you have to watch Lidl to see if you can get the discount on two items bought.

I will stick with Dunnes and Tesco, much easier to use, and be more aware next time I shop in Lidl.

I was caught by this a few months ago - saw Soya milk drink reduced, but found at the checkout that the reduction was for app users only.
The Lidl plus reductions are displayed the same way as regular reductions so easy to miss the "Lidl plus" text.
It's in small print on the price tag, which for me is difficult to read in their eco-friendly lighting!

As far as I was concerned and aware Lidl had their special offers not linked to their App and their specials offers linked to their App.

We seldom activated the App because it is a pain in the backside trying to find the items in the shop.

So, it appears that all reduced prices in their shop are linked to their App now?

They used to stock a roll of plastic rubble sacks that were pretty good....they appear to have discontinued these and now only sell poor quality tie-top bags......

They also used to sell a pickled red cabbage that we liked and is no longer available.

I have to say that when we shop in Lidl now it is for specific items that we want only.

As far as I was concerned and aware Lidl had their special offers not linked to their App and their specials offers linked to their App.

We seldom activated the App because it is a pain in the backside trying to find the items in the shop.

So, it appears that all reduced prices in their shop are linked to their App now?

They used to stock a roll of plastic rubble sacks that were pretty good....they appear to have discontinued these and now only sell poor quality tie-top bags......

They also used to sell a pickled red cabbage that we liked and is no longer available.

I have to say that when we shop in Lidl now it is for specific items that we want only.
No it is not all their reductions, it is a specific set.

Most of the super 6 fruit, veg, meat offers are not LIDL Plus specific.

The "big brand" discounts are not LIDL Plus specific typically.

It is frustrating with LIDL, product disappears or worse, stays on shelves with same name but are clearly not same quality anymore so not worth buying.

I raid it on occasion for specific regular products, middle buy special or for French \ Greek week food offerings.

To avail of the discount you also have to activate the relevant coupon in the Lidl Plus app. Even if you scan your Lidl Plus app at the till - if you don't have the relevant item activated the lower discounted price is not applied.

That's just a pain in the..
... eh, neck.
My local Aldi has for ages been beating Lidl out the gate in terms of freshness and availability of veg and fruit in particular. And without any of this nonsense.
I'd have thought that they all source the more popular fruit and veg from many of the same importers / wholesalers, but clearly not the case

Yes. This is why I just gave up the app altogether. I now use Lidl as surplus of Dunnes when I want to get something small. Still some good stuff, but as others have said, can be hit and miss with keeping the same stock and quality.

I got caught out on this. For years I have been browsing and sometimes purchasing their special offer fruit and veg that is prominently displayed as you enter the shop. Then suddenly I notice that I am being charged the full price on these items. Sneaky altogether.

I wouldn't mind but the produce is the same in Tesco and Dunnes Stores, and I get points and discount vouchers when I shop there....and I get their special offers clearly displayed.

Another thing that annoys me about Lidl is the way they have an offer on say........500g box of ice creams......but when you go to the display cabinet you cannot find this size of box but pick up a 750g box, thinking they are the ones that you saw online, but of course they are not on special offer and you end up paying the full price.

The last thing I need when I am shopping is to be watching out for this type of misleading pricing and bait and switch tactics.

I think it’s fairly sharp practice and I wonder about the legality of it. I’ve stopped shopping there because of the price practices of the app and the deteriorating quality of the products. Especially fruit and vegetables which go off very quickly and don’t have use by dates often.

The app is very poor - between being limited to one product for most offers and poor discounts. I don't even bother scanning as it is not worth my data in most cases. 20% off one unit of a product that normally costs 1.19 etc.

At least the "spend and saves" (dunnes, sv) and clubcard prices are transparent and allow multiple purchases

Yip - the flat top ones are great...down to my last few and keep checking to see if they get them back in. Those tie-top ones are rubbish (pun intended!)

We shop in Dunnes and then get the few bits in Aldi that we prefer or are demonstrably better value. Both Aldi and Lidl's USP was better value and lower prices. Both run the risk that as their prices creep up and the use of misleading bait and switch tactics as outlined on this thread, people will just shop in Dunnes and Tesco. In fairness, if I am a typical Irish shopper, they have probably reached their market share maximum as Aldi will only be a top-up shop for us. The absence of atmosphere and the criminal lack of self-serve checkouts (and therefore being stuck behind someone with an enormous shop whilst I have four items) means I go elsewhere when I need something quickly.

However regarding Tesco, I have a fundamental problem with their Clubcard price policy anyway: if they can charge one price simply for harvesting your personal data, they can easily charge that lower price for all. They are obviously still making a profit on the item and therefore it clearly demonstrates that the non-Clubcard price is artificially inflated and profiteering. For this reason, I refuse to shop in Tesco. Treasure Ireland indeed!

Back