LIDL offer

T

TarfHead

Next week (Thu 10-Feb), they're offering a DVD player with integrated media card reader for €79.99.

[broken link removed]

What's the advantage of this ? So you can view digital photographs on your TV, or am I missing something here ?

As far as the card reader goes, that would appear to be it. I think the other main selling point is Supports DivX-Versions

So it's a DivX player too.

If the card reader feature is not a priority (and tbh I can't see why it would be - your average digital camera usually comes with a lead for connecting directly to the back of a TV), then €80 for a DivX-compatible player is a pretty good price, but hardly earth-shattering. I understand that some branches of Tesco (but not mine! :( ) are currently doing a WYSIWYG offer on a Goodmans divx/dvd player with an alba surround system strapped to it for €90 - see this thread on Boards.ie...

DivX to DVD is what MP3 is to CD audio. You can squish films down with little loss in quality. For example, you can comfortably compress a main 1hr 45min film down to about 700MB. This means you can compile multiple films onto a DVD disc (using a DVD writer). A single-layer DVD disc can hold 4.7GB (about 6 movies) whilst a double-layer disc can hold 8.5GB (eh, 12 movies). Or you can just about get every single episode of Thomas the Tank Engine and Brum ever made onto one DVD :)

Read more here and some more info about DivX's cousin, .

www.divx.com

It's a high-quality compressed video format. Typically you can squeeze a full movie into <700Mb, which means you can store it on a CD-R (rather than a 4.7Gb DVD)*. Not DVD quality, of course, but pretty damn good on your average-sized monitor (or TV screen)

* Alternatively, of course, you can burn several full-length DivX movies onto a single DVD-/+R...

Back