Liability for repair work

Grimethorpe

I would like to know how the law applies to a tradesman who repairs another man's poor work, but whose own repair job is faulty.

I recently had a new soil pipe installed in my basement extension. It runs along the length of the basement with a slight fall on it, and into the main drain.
The builder who installed it recommended another general handyman to box the pipe in and decorate. This handyman boxed the soil pipe in so tightly that it developed a leak after a few weeks, but in the meantime he went bankrupt and left the job.
The original builder opened up the boxing-in and fixed the leak by putting in a new joint into the pipe.
Several weeks later this new joint sprang a leak but it was not discovered until we noticed the newly laid wooden floor begin to warp and bulge.
The builder sent one of his men to fix the leak and this man said the pipe - as it was a long soil pipe with a slight fall on it - should have been supported with a metal strap near the new joint but it was not.
The water damage to my wooden floor is irreparable and runs into £000's but the builder is claiming that it is not his responsibility, as he was fixing the handyman's mistake.
Is he liable for the damage?

@Grimethorpe:

It would seem from the facts that you have outlined, that you would have a case for breach of contract by way of negligent workman ship for the repair job.

From what you have said, the repair was defective and whilst repairing the original damage, the joint replacement seems separate and a botched job.

What is the cost of fixing the damage?

At a guess I'd say OP is located in the UK and needs to ask on a UK specific site as this site is for Irish enquiries only.

Law is similar in any event
"Similar" is rarely good enough in legal terms and besides the statutory enforcement agencies for building control and consumer protection are very different as are their powers.